Updated 

Family Court marshal connected to groping allegations no longer at post


A second marshal involved in the 2011 groping case of a woman appearing before Family Court has been let go from his job.

Family Court Judge William Gonzalez issued a statement late Wednesday saying James Kenyon is no longer employed as a marshal by the Eighth Judicial District Court.

“As the judge, I decide who the judicial marshal will be in my department,” Gonzalez said. “It is no longer James Kenyon.”

Gonzalez said he could not provide more details because it was a personnel matter.

Another marshal, Ron Fox, who was accused of assaulting the woman, Monica Contreras, on Aug. 8, 2011, was previously fired.

The groping case involving Contreras, 28, has attracted the interest of the FBI and has been widely publicized because of a courtroom video showing her complaining to a hearing master. Contreras was in court for a hearing in regard to her 3-year-old daughter.

In the video, an emotional Contreras is shown complaining that Fox had inappropriately touched her in the witness room while claiming to be searching for drugs.

Contreras was ignored and arrested for complaining. Kenyon is seen on the video handcuffing Contreras.

Fox has denied the accusations and has sued to get his job back. Contreras has sued Fox.

Last month, the Las Vegas Review-Journal first reported that new allegations had surfaced that Fox assaulted two teenage girls on the same day in 2010 and a courthouse investigation was underway into a cover-up of the incidents. Fox’s lawyer, Adam Levine, said at the time there was no merit to the allegations.

Suspended Family Court Marshal Steve Rushfield is accused of orchestrating the alleged cover-up.

Rushfield, a longtime supervisor of Family Court marshals, is at the center of an FBI investigation into complaints of excessive force and other misconduct at Family Court.

He’s also accused of trying to cover up both the Contreras case and a May 20, 2010, Family Court incident in which he allegedly choked a Las Vegas woman while she was confined to a restraining chair in a holding cell. The woman, Crystal Williams, 27, testified before a federal grand jury in July.

Contact reporter Jeff German at jgerman@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-8135. Follow him on Twitter @JGermanRJ.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.