Father faces firearms, child abuse charges after young girl dies in accidental shooting

The father of the young girl killed in their home Wednesday night while playing with a handgun was arrested on felony firearm and child abuse charges, police said.

Bill Cassell, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Department, said today that 37-year-old Jevell Jackson was an ex-convict and owned the gun illegally.

Cassell wouldn’t reveal if the girl’s fatal wounds were self-inflicted or if the sibling who was playing with her accidentally fired the fatal shot. It was unclear in whose bedroom the pair found the weapon.

Also, Cassell declined to provide the names and ages of the children.

Authorities responded to a 7:50 p.m. call of an accidental shooting at the family’s home near Warm Springs Road and Rainbow Boulevard, in the southwest valley.

Police said the two siblings under the age of 10 had been playing with a gun when it fired and struck one of them.

The girl later died at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center of a gunshot wound to the upper chest.

The name and age of the victim were not released by police today.

Jackson was arrested Wednesday on charges of ex-felon in possession of a firearm, one count of felony child abuse with substantial bodily harm and two additional counts of child abuse.

He was booked into the Clark County Detention Center on $19,000 bail. He was still in police custody as of this afternoon.

Jackson has no prior convictions in Nevada, police said.

Neighbor Patrick Lindner said he believed the family previously lived in California. The two cars parked in the driveway today had California license plates.

Lindner, who lives two doors north of the residence at 7458 Wine Creek St., said the family had rented the home for about a year and always kept to themselves.

He said he often saw two girls from the home playing outside on the cul-de-sac. The girls, who he believed were between 4 and 6 years old, played well together riding bikes with a brother and other neighbor children, Lindner said.

He said Jackson would stay outside with the children, but always kept to himself.

Police blocked off the road for several hours Wednesday night, but Lindner said authorities wouldn’t tell him who inside the house was shot.

“I was hoping it wasn’t one of the girls,” he said. “It’s sad there was a gun in the house and that (this happened) to one of the girls.”

No one answered the door of the girl’s home this afternoon.

Cassell didn’t know what caliber handgun the weapon was but said it was the only firearm found in the house.

The other children in the home were placed in protective custody by Clark County Child Protective Services pending further investigation.

Contact reporter Maggie Lillis at mlillis@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0279.