Henderson fire blamed on barbecue briquettes

A fire damaged a garage and threatened two houses Sunday night in a Green Valley neighborhood, according to the Henderson Fire Department.

The fire near Hillpointe Road and Arroyo Grande Boulevard was discovered by a bystander about 8 p.m., who called 911 and evacuated both homes. The fire department said the fire had heavy smoke and fire coming from inside of the garage, threatening the home and another one nearby. They quickly extinguished the fire.

Firefighters ruled the fire accidental due to improperly discarding barbecue briquettes in a trashcan. No injuries were reported.

The fire was limited to the garage with damages estimated at to $60,000.

Contact reporter Cassandra Taloma at ctaloma@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.