A 27-year-old Las Vegas father entered a plea agreement with prosecutors this week, just before he was to stand trial on murder charges in the death of his toddler son.
Jonathan Quisano, who moved here from Hawaii shortly before his son died, pleaded no contest Tuesday to voluntary manslaughter and child abuse neglect or endangerment with substantial bodily harm. Attorneys in the case had been prepared to select a jury for a murder trial on Wednesday.
Quisano was arrested in June 2013 after his son, Khayden Quisano, 3, was pronounced dead at University Medical Center.
At the time, Jonathan Quisano told police the child fell while playing on the back of a sofa.
Authorities said the boy suffered head and internal injuries too severe to have been caused by a fall.
Quisano faces up to 10 years in prison at sentencing in September.
Contact reporter David Ferrara at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-380-1039. Find him on Twitter: @randompoker.