Clark County Fire Department and a hazardous material team responded to a gas leak at the Las Vegas Ice Center at approximately 10:30 a.m. Sunday.
The call to the center located at 9295 W. Flamingo Rd., at the corner of Ft. Apache Road, came when Ice Center visitors reported feeling lethargic. Many reported having shortness of breath , according to a Clark County Fire Department commander.
Multiple people were transported to nearby hospitals, the fire department said.
About a dozen firetrucks and ambulances were present. The center’s doors were blocked while firefighters investigated.
Ron Blackwell, 66, said that he and a group of people play hockey at the rink about three to four times a week.
Blackwell noted that the about two dozen people who were present began feeling abnormal. They decided to evacuate before first responders arrived shortly after the call, Blackwell said.
He said that a woman, who appeared to be more affected, was transported to the hospital while the other unknown number of people volunteered to go after first responders detected elevated carbon monoxide in their bodies.
Lethargy, as well as dizziness upon standing and lightheadedness are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
A woman who ran in a frantic pace to the front of the center appeared relieved when she saw the person she was looking for. They hugged while the tension eased.
Reporter Kristen DeSilva contributed to this story.
Contact Ricardo Torres at email@example.com or 702-383-0381. Find him on Twitter: @rickytwrites
Contact Kristen DeSilva at firstname.lastname@example.org pr 702-477-3895. Find her on Twitter: @kristendesilva