Transportation officials adjust reported number of 2013 deaths on Nevada roads

CARSON CITY — More people died on Nevada’s roads in 2013 than previously reported.

State Transportation Director Rudy Malfabon said Monday five more people died in crashes than reported in January.

Because of the changes, the number of people who died in 2013 ended up at 267, according to the Office of Traffic Safety, compared with 262 in 2012.

Some law enforcement agencies do not report fatalities to the transportation officials until they complete investigations. In addition, a pedestrian who died in Las Vegas at the end of the year was not included in the previous report, he told members of the Transportation Board.

Despite the state’s “zero fatalities” program, highway fatalities have climbed slightly for the last three years, but remain far less than the 432 killed in 2006.

So far this year, the numbers are down. Nineteen fatalities were reported through Feb. 5, compared to 27 by the same time in 2013.

Contact Capital Bureau Chief Ed Vogel at evogel@reviewjournal.com, or call 775-687-3901 or on Twitter @edisonvogel.


Comment section guidelines

The below comment section contains thoughts and opinions from users that in no way represent the views of the Las Vegas Review-Journal or GateHouse Media. This public platform is intended to provide a forum for users of reviewjournal.com to share ideas, express thoughtful opinions and carry the conversation beyond the article. Users must follow the guidelines under our Commenting Policy and are encouraged to use the moderation tools to help maintain civility and keep discussions on topic.