Rough weekend for superstar DJ


It was an unlucky weekend in Las Vegas for Scottish superstar DJ Calvin Harris.

Known as the King of Electropop, Harris got off to a controversial start Friday when a heckling incident cut short the DJ's set at Tryst nightclub at Wynn Las Vegas.

One night later, he got shut down by Mother Nature when high winds forced officials to pull the plug on the Electric Daisy Carnival at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

After the wind problem, he did a two-hour pre-dawn set at Surrender nightclub at Encore Beach Club.

Harris, a member of the elite DJ stable signed as resident performers by nightclubs owned by billionaire hotel developer Steve Wynn, had tweeted about 3 a.m. Saturday that he had been "kicked off the decks" at Tryst for "not playing Carly Rae Jepsen + hip hop."

He reignited the Tryst controversy later in the day when he questioned management's decision to book him during EDC, one of the world's largest electronic dance music festivals.

He tweeted, "No offence intended to Tryst, great club + staff but i don't know why i was invited there...! The people hated me!"

Tryst usually plays to the crowd that prefers hip-hop, top 40 and party rock.

Jesse Waits, managing partner of Tryst and XS, issued a statement saying, "We would never ask a headlining DJ to adjust their playlist or step down from a set."

Harris later deleted the tweet but returned to Twitter to second-guess the booking at Tryst. He added, "I think all the dance music fans were at EDC."

Vegas Confidential was told a high roller requested a song early in Harris' set and it wasn't played.

There was speculation that Harris meant that he was "kicked off" by the negative vibe, not management. A Wynn executive said it was Harris' decision to leave.

"Everything's fine," the executive said. "Everybody has a bad night. That's what we chalk it up to."

Harris, whose real name is Adam Richards Wiles, has been an electronic dance sensation since his song "We Are Alone" overtook Lady Gaga's monster hit "Poker Face" in 2009.

THE SCENE AND HEARD

Boxing promoter Bob Arum provided the most surreal moment during the aftermath of the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley fight at the MGM Grand Garden. In the middle of Arum's lengthy rant against the judges for their "incomprehensible" split decision in Bradley's favor, the promoter's cellphone went off as he was standing at the podium.

Arum, 80, answered in his usual gruff manner and listened politely for maybe 30 seconds before informing the caller he was conducting a news conference.

SIGHTINGS

NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb, dining with his father and friends Saturday night at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant (Paris). ... Singer Joe Jonas, dining at Tao Asian Bistro (The Venetian) on Saturday night. ... At the Pacquiao-Bradley fight: Floyd Mayweather Sr., telling reporters he thought Pacquiao won; Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum, San Francisco 49ers running backs Brandon Jacobs and Frank Gore, actors Anna Paquin and her husband Stephen Moyer, Luke Wilson, apl.de.ap of the Black Eyed Peas, One Direction singer Zayn Malik, "American Idol" runner-up Jessica Sanchez, who sang the national anthem, and boxers Amir Khan, Andre Ward, Brandon Rios, Chad Dawson, Juan Manuel Marquez, Roy Jones Jr., Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Kelly Pavlik, Nonito Donaire and retired boxer Shane Mosley.

THE PUNCH LINE

"Subway Courtesy Monitor" - From David Letterman's Top Ten Worst Jobs in New York City

Norm Clarke can be reached at 702-383-0244 or norm@reviewjournal.com. Find additional sightings and more online at www.normclarke.com. Follow Norm on Twitter @Norm_Clarke.

 

Rules for posting comments

Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum. Read our guidelines for posting. If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon next to the comment.