Samuel Peter has the WBC heavyweight title but not much of the respect or fame that usually go with it.
Such are the times in a division that lacks substance, talent and certainly star power.
Peter, a Nigerian who lives and trains in Las Vegas, will defend his title Oct. 11 against WBC champion emeritus Vitali Klitschko in Berlin as part of a Showtime doubleheader. The second half will be broadcast from the Palms, where Antonio Tarver and Chad Dawson meet in a light heavyweight bout.
Klitschko, 37, hasn't fought in three years. But he is coming out of retirement with the hope of winning back his title and sharing the division with younger brother Wladimir, the IBF and WBO titleholder.
"I'm still the WBC champion of the world," Peter said last week in a teleconference call from Germany. "I don't know what gives him (Klitschko) a right to step into my spotlight."
Peter, 28, said winning the title in March with a sixth-round technical knockout of Oleg Maskaev and bringing the belt back to Africa was a special moment.
"My dream was to be the first African, Nigerian, to be the heavyweight champion of the world," he said. "I made it.
"When I went back home, everyone embraced me. Everyone was so happy for me."
Peter said he sees a similarity between Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko, who beat Peter by 12-round unanimous decision in 2005 in Atlantic City.
"They fight like they're robots," Peter said. "I beat his brother, but they give him the fight. That does not matter.
"I'm not a robot. I am a skilled fighter and puncher. I do whatever I need to win."
• OLYMPIAN VEGAS-BOUND -- Former Olympic boxer Bastie Samir has signed with TKO Boxing Promotions and will move to Las Vegas to train.
Samir, 22, was 96-7 as an amateur and was the captain of Ghana's national team. He lost a controversial 9-7 decision to Brazil's Washington Silva in the second round of the Beijing Olympics last month.
"We've heard people compare him to John Mugabi, which is a great compliment," said Samir's manager, Cameron Dunkin. "He fought at 178 (pounds) in the amateurs, but he was weighing in at 170, 171, so he's going to fight as a middleweight as a pro."
• CROWN RESULTS -- Trainer and former world lightweight champion Greg Haugen had a good night Friday, watching two of his fighters win at The Orleans.
Jason Davis looked impressive in scoring a fourth-round TKO victory over Victor Hugo Correa in the super welterweight main event. Working the body effectively, Davis (11-1) dominated, with Correa quitting before the start of the fifth round in their eight-round bout.
Ronald Hurley, who only recently started working with Haugen, won a six-round unanimous decision over Rodrigo Aranda in their lightweight bout. Hurley (4-2-2) was ahead 58-56 on all three scorecards.
• CAMPAS TRIES AGAIN -- Veteran middleweight Yory Boy Campas will go before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday in a second attempt to be licensed to fight.
The 37-year-old Campas (92-12, 74 knockouts) was turned down by the commission in his attempt to fight on the undercard of the Juan Manuel Marquez-Joel Casamayor fight on Sept. 13. The commission thought Campas was no longer competitive, having lost two of his last three fights.
• EYE SURGERY CONCERNS -- The NAC's Medical Advisory Board recommended that any fighter who has had corrective eye surgery, such as Lasik, inform the commission before fighting.
Currently, boxers are not required to disclose such procedures when filling out their medical forms as part of their license applications. The proposal is expected to be approved at Tuesday's meeting.
Contact reporter Steve Carp at scarp@ reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2913.