85°F
weather icon Clear

Caesars bid to appeal judge’s ruling denied

The bankruptcy judge overseeing the reorganization of Caesars Entertainment's largest division said Wednesday the company could not pursue a fast appeal to his ruling that allows bondholder lawsuits to proceed.

Caesars wants to overturn the ruling last week by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Benjamin Goldgar of Chicago. Debt-ridden Caesars said four lawsuits by bondholders in New York and Delaware could push the entire Las Vegas-based company into bankruptcy.

In January, Caesars placed Caesars Entertainment Operating Co., into a Chapter 11 reorganization. The division has $18.4 billion of the company's $22.8 billion in long-term debt.

Goldgar denied a request to appeal his decision directly to the federal circuit court, bypassing the district court, according to Bloomberg News.

"I'm not convinced a direct appeal will expedite anything here," Bloomberg quoted Goldgar as saying.

Through bankruptcy, Caesars hopes to eliminate almost $10 billion of the division's debt and convert CEOC into a real estate investment trust.

Contact reporter Howard Stutz at hstutz@reviewjournal.com or 702-477-3871. Find @howardstutz on Twitter.

MOST READ
Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
MORE STORIES