Getaway driver gets life sentence for two murders

A judge gave Richard Freeman Jr. the “glimmer of hope” he asked for Wednesday when she sentenced him to life in prison with the possibility of parole for his role in two 2010 murders.

But District Judge Carolyn Ellsworth said she expects the defendant to be “a very old man” when, if ever, he is released from prison.

Freeman, 22, must serve at least 56 years before officials may consider granting him parole. He already has spent more than three years behind bars since his arrest in the case.

Denise Espitia, sister of victim Prisma Contreras, had no doubt about Freeman’s fate after sitting through the sentencing hearing.

“I know he’s never getting out, no matter what,” she said outside the courtroom.

Freeman was 18 when he went on a crime spree with his older accomplice, Gregory Hover, in January 2010.

In May, a jury decided that Hover, 41, should be executed for his role in the two murders.

Espitia said her family will live with the pain forever, but “I know that at least justice was served in both cases.”

Hover was employed as a process server when he kidnapped the woman’s 21-year-old sister from a parking lot on East Tropicana Avenue. He proceeded to rape, stab and strangle her.

The young mother’s body was found in a burned-out car south of Boulder City on Jan. 15, 2010.

Hover also was convicted of fatally shooting 64-year-old Julio Romero during a robbery on Jan. 25, 2010.

Authorities said Hover, who worked for Junes Legal Service, had visited Romero’s home to serve legal papers. Early the next morning, Hover forced his way into the home, killed Romero and shot Romero’s wife, Roberta, who survived.

By pleading guilty in April to two counts of first-degree murder with a deadly weapon, Freeman ensured that he would not join his co-defendant on death row.

Earlier this year, Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo said Freeman had acted as Hover’s co-conspirator and driver but did not participate in the acts of violence.

On Wednesday, DiGiacomo argued that Freeman was “as guilty” as Hover and urged the judge to deny him the chance for parole.

The prosecutor also noted that “disturbing” images of child pornography were found on Freeman’s computer.

Standing in the courtroom Wednesday, Freeman spoke softly as he offered his apologies to the victims’ families, the court and his own family.

“I do understand the gravity of the situation,” he said.

He said his drug use contributed to his behavior but does not excuse it.

Freeman asked the judge for a “glimmer of hope” that he might someday be released from prison.

Defense attorney Kristina Wildeveld said Freeman, who was teased and bullied as a child because he was severely overweight, was barely an adult when he helped commit the crimes.

She also said evidence suggested Freeman remained outside the Romero home while Hover was inside.

In sentencing Freeman, Ellsworth expressed her belief that he was influenced by his older accomplice.

The judge also said she expects Hover to die in prison before he finishes the lengthy process of appealing his death sentence.

Ellsworth said she chose to give Freeman the hope of parole because she did not want him to receive the same punishment as Hover.

Contact reporter Carri Geer Thevenot at cgeer@reviewjournal.com or 702-384-8710.

ad-high_impact_4
Crime
Metro Asst. Sheriff Brett Zimmerman on Aug. 8 officer-involved shooting
Metropolitan Police Department Assistant Sheriff Brett Zimmerman met with media Monday to discuss the details of the 14th officer-involved shooting of the year. (Madelyn Reese/ Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nye County detectives pursue suspects
A swarm of Nye County deputies, at the request of Las Vegas police, surrounded a hotel room in Pahrump last week to take two fugitives into custody. (Nye County Sheriff's Office)
Las Vegas judge’s ruling will halt tonight’s execution
On Wednesday Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez issued a ruling that will halt the execution of convicted murderer Scott Dozier. Alvogen Inc., which makes the sedative midazolam, filed a lawsuit Tuesday accusing the Nevada Department of Corrections of surreptitiously obtaining the drug for use in an execution.
3 people shot in southeast Las Vegas
Three men were shot Thursday night in southeast Las Vegas, and two of them have life threatening injuries. Las Vegas police responded to the incident just after 10 p.m. on the 5000 block of Mountain Vista Street. The investigation is in its early stages and police were unable to describe the suspect or say how man people they think were involved. Police encourage anyone with information regarding this shooting to call Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555, or 3-1-1
Robbery suspects apprehended
Four robbery suspects were taken into custody Thursday morning after a vehicle and foot chase that ended in an east Las Vegas neighborhood. The incident began when a person was robbed at gunpoint around 4:45 a.m. near Maryland Parkway and Desert Inn. Officers arriving at the scene tried to stop two vehicles. One vehicle escaped but police chased the second into a neighborhood on Flamingo Road near Mountain Vista Street. Police surrounded the neighborhood and the suspects were apprehended. It looked like one police vehicle was involved in a collision with the suspects' car. One woman suffered an unknown injury and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. 01:04
Las Vegas police looking for robbery suspects
Two robbers who recently targeted three Las Vegas businesses remained at large Tuesday and police are asking the public to help identify them. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser gives update of officer-involved shooting
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser provides an update about an officer-involved shooting at Radwick Drive and Owens Avenue in the northeast Las Vegas on Thursday. A robbery suspect was shot and killed. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
LVMPD Looking For Robbery Suspect
The LVMPD Commercial Robbery Section is attempting to identify the pictured suspect who is responsible for committing robberies to businesses in the southern part of the Las Vegas Valley during the month of May 2018. The suspect enters the business, threatens the employee with a firearm and demands money from the register. The employee complies and the suspect flees the business.
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead at 2500 block of Ellis St., on Friday, June 8, 2018. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal @bizutesfaye
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like