weather icon Clear

Homeowner gets HOA bill and can’t find out why

Q: Our homeowners association management company has sent us a pre-statutory notice asking for $290.62. We sent them back a response stating that we have no idea what these monies are for because they did not provide a breakdown. They also stated we had 14 days to request a board hearing and a dual payment plan. We requested the board hearing. They stated we had 30 days to pay the debt. We are getting near the 30-day period. We have contacted them by e-mail and secured mailings. However, we get no response.

So, our question is should we pay the $290.62 within the 30 days? Please keep in mind with the 14- to 30-day notice they also included a list of fees that could be applied even while waiting for a board hearing.

They also threatened charges for a collection agency. We believe this is extortion by intimidation. If we pay the $290.62, do we have a prayer of getting any of our money returned? Coincidentally, for the first time in 11 years we had a recent HOA monthly check not cashed. We just mailed a replacement check and 02/01/22 payment by certified mail. Was this an intimidation game by the management company? We appreciate your help in this matter. As we have become distraught and unhappy to live at our home.

A: Under Nevada Revised Statute 116.31162 (1b1-2), the association is required to describe the deficiency in payment. Under section 4 of the law, the association has to deliver a schedule of fees that may be charged for non-payment, a proposed repayment plan and a notice of the right to contest the past due obligation at a hearing before the board and the procedures for requesting such a hearing.

I would recommend to you to first pay the assessment under protest, so as to avoid any additional fees. Second, send a certified letter requesting a breakdown of the delinquency and a hearing with the board. If the association fails to comply, file a formal complaint with the Nevada Real Estate Division.

Barbara Holland is an author and educator on real estate management. Questions may be sent to holland744o@gmail.com.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
HOA won’t do anything about ‘Adams Family’ house

The least that your association can do is to send out violation letters for nuisance, disrupting the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. If the neighbor continues with this disruptive behavior, your association could send them a hearing/fine violation letter. Unfortunately, fining a neighbor does not always result in compliance.

HOA cannot fine renter for license plate display

If the renter has a current license plate that is lying on the inside window dash, the vehicle would have been properly registered. The association could not fine the renter because the license plate is not on the vehicle.

Frequent condo false fire alarm sets off neighbors

If you can find the name of the alarm company for that house, you could contact them and ask for assistance. They most likely can disconnect the alarm.

HOA needs to find a way to maintain elevators in condo community

What happened to your reserves? Elevators would be covered under a reserve study, allowing the association to fund for their replacement and or repair. Your association should have been funding this expenditure since 1984.

Communities can get reputation for being difficult, unstable

If the general manager is an employee of the association, under NRS 116.31175 (4a), an owner is entitled to the number of hours worked, salaries and benefits. Those are the only records that the association is required to provide to a homeowner concerning the association’s employees.

HOA unsure how to deal with ‘Let’s go Brandon’ sign

Q: I am the president of a very small homeowners association community. We have a resident who has placed a “Let’s go Brandon” sign in their front window.

Homeowner wants HOA to charge investors for tenant problems

Unless your CCRs has a section that allows higher monthly association fees on owners who violate regulations, you would not be able to increase the investors a higher fee.

Homeowners unhappy about landscaping company

Homeowners do have the right to request in writing a copy of the signed contracts. Since the proposals are association records, a homeowner could request a copy of them as well.