weather icon Partly Cloudy

Police respond to tenant causing disturbance in community

Updated March 21, 2022 - 11:22 am

Q: Thanks for your ongoing informative column in the Las Vegas Review-Journal. We can always count on you for accurate information.

We recently had a disturbance in a common area of our homeowners association involving a tenant (the unit is on our approved rental list) and his non-resident girlfriend. The situation was bad enough to warrant a police response.

I asked the officers, who responded to trespass the individual, given the fact the disturbance occurred in a common element. The officer told me she couldn’t be trespassed until the officer spoke with management. I told the officer that we are condos, not an apartment complex, and I was on the board (thus meeting the “duly appointed representative”).

The officer then changed the story to: “She can’t be 86’d, she’s an invited guest.”) I again informed the officer the subject was in a common area, thus on private property, and I wanted her 86’d. The officer stated: “I can’t even ask her to leave.”

A: Many police officers do not understand the difference between an apartment community or an association. Please note that there are different laws that govern apartments versus associations.

Generally speaking, a police officer would not interfere in what would be considered a civil matter. You did not provide any detail as to the nature of the disturbance. With violent disturbances, weapons, etc, the police would have taken affirmative action by arresting those involved.

Based on your information, the police officer was correct that he could not ask her to leave.

With an apartment community, the apartment manager could initiate an eviction action, depending upon the specifics of the disturbance in the common area. The association cannot evict the tenant but could issue a violation letter that would be sent to the unit owner.

Owners are responsible for the actions of their tenants and guests. If the disturbance was serious enough, a health, safety welfare violation could be issued.

Q: If a board member quits, does the HOA have to stop using anything they wrote or helped create because of intellectual property?

A former board member is demanding we remove all public instances of newsletters and flyers they helped to create or created independently as it’s their intellectual property and they no longer agree that the HOA can use it.

Do we really have to scrub all website posts, newsletters and flyers from the years they were on the board?

The board reuses material from time to time. No one has ever made this demand before.

A: This is the first time that any reader posed this question. I can not imagine that association newsletters or flyers could meet the standards of intellectual property.

Intellectual property is a category of property that includes intangible collections of the human intellect. The best known types are copyrights, patents and trade secrets.

As always, you can address your question to your association’s attorney but I seriously don’t believe the former board member’s request would past the legal test of what constitues intellectual property. Keep your information and deny the request.

Barbara Holland is an author and educator on real estate management. Questions may be sent to holland744o@gmail.com.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
HOA won’t do anything about ‘Addams Family’ house

I live across the street from people who live in chaos. The police have been there at least 50 times in 10 years. The house hasn’t been painted since it was new 20 years ago, and it looks like the Addams Family lives there.

HOA cannot fine renter for license plate display

If the renter has a current license plate that is lying on the inside window dash, the vehicle would have been properly registered. The association could not fine the renter because the license plate is not on the vehicle.

Frequent condo false fire alarm sets off neighbors

If you can find the name of the alarm company for that house, you could contact them and ask for assistance. They most likely can disconnect the alarm.

HOA needs to find a way to maintain elevators in condo community

What happened to your reserves? Elevators would be covered under a reserve study, allowing the association to fund for their replacement and or repair. Your association should have been funding this expenditure since 1984.

Communities can get reputation for being difficult, unstable

If the general manager is an employee of the association, under NRS 116.31175 (4a), an owner is entitled to the number of hours worked, salaries and benefits. Those are the only records that the association is required to provide to a homeowner concerning the association’s employees.

HOA unsure how to deal with ‘Let’s go Brandon’ sign

Q: I am the president of a very small homeowners association community. We have a resident who has placed a “Let’s go Brandon” sign in their front window.

Homeowner wants HOA to charge investors for tenant problems

Unless your CCRs has a section that allows higher monthly association fees on owners who violate regulations, you would not be able to increase the investors a higher fee.

Homeowners unhappy about landscaping company

Homeowners do have the right to request in writing a copy of the signed contracts. Since the proposals are association records, a homeowner could request a copy of them as well.