weather icon Clear
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

Toni Says: How can I stop my Medicare Part B?

Updated January 26, 2023 - 2:13 pm

Dear Toni: I have just enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B because I turned 65 in January. I am currently working, with my husband and myself covered under my employer plan.

I am being charged a much higher premium for Medicare because our 2021 tax return showed higher earnings. Can you please explain what one turning 65 with employer benefits should do? I made a big mistake enrolling in Medicare and working with employer benefits, and I need assistance to stop my Medicare Part B. — Tammy, Sugar Land, Texas

Dear Tammy: Medicare does allow those turning 65 with employer benefits to delay Medicare Part B enrollment without a penalty when you want to enroll in Medicare later. Delaying Medicare requires you to have employer group health coverage from your or your spouse’s employment.

Social Security must interview you to terminate Medicare Parts A or B, and you can do so by calling your local Social Security office. You will need to file Social Security form CMS-1763 to terminate Medicare Part A or Part B.

Here are the different Medicare enrollment options:

1. If you are turning 65 and receiving your Social Security check, this is the easiest way to receive your Medicare card. Medicare will mail your card 90 days before you turn 65.

2. If you are turning 65 and not receiving your Social Security check — either because you are still working or are not working but waiting past age 65 to receive 100 percent of your Social Security benefits, you can enroll in Medicare online at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare 90 days before you turn 65.

3. If you are over age 65 and still working or your spouse is still working, you should talk to your (or your spouse’s) employer’s human resources department. Verify whether you should delay enrolling in Part B because you and your spouse are on an employer group health plan. When you will no longer be covered by an employer group health plan, have the HR department fill out and sign Social Security form CMS-L564, “Request for Employment Information,” and CMS-40B, “Application for Medicare Part B.” Call your local Social Security office and fax the forms to justify your delay in enrollment and avoid needless penalties.

Medicare enrollment situations do matter. Here are a couple:

Working spouse: If the working spouse is providing health insurance benefits from their current employment group health coverage, then you may want to delay enrolling in Medicare Part B. You might continue to work either part time or as a self-employed individual while taking advantage of the coverage provided by your working spouse.

Self-employed: If you turned 65, were not covered under an employer’s group health plan, and waited to enroll in Medicare Part B, then you will receive a 10 percent penalty for each 12-month period that you were not enrolled in Part B. So, if you waited till turning 67 to apply for original Medicare Parts A and B, you will pay an additional 20 percent for your Medicare Part B every month for as long as you are on Medicare or the rest of your life.

Toni King is an author and columnist on Medicare and health insurance issues. For a Medicare checkup, email: info@tonisays.com or call 832-519-8664. Visit seniorresource.com/medicare-moments to listen to her Medicare Moments podcasts and get other information for seniors.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Most Americans aren’t getting enough exercise, study finds

Less than a third of U.S. adults meet suggested benchmarks for aerobic and muscle-building activities set out by health officials, according to a new study.

Ask the Pediatrician: What are group A strep infections?

Recently, clusters of invasive group A strep infections in children have been reported, understandably causing concern among parents.

What is degenerative disk disease and what can be done about it?

Our spinal disks wear out with age and use. About 20 percent of all U.S. adults have some amount of degeneration by age 65. This increases to about 35 percent by 80.

Thinking about going vegan? Here’s what you need to know

“It’s a lot easier than you think,” says Robin Asbell, chef, cooking instructor and author of several cookbooks, including 2011’s “Big Vegan.”

Doctors break down 7 common types of heart conditions

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, with heart conditions affecting more and more people each year. For February, American Heart Month, here’s a look at seven types of heart problems.

Savvy Senior: What are IRS tax filing requirements for retirees?

Whether you are required to file a federal income tax return this year will depend on how much you earned last year, as well as the source of the income, your age and filing status.

Osteoporosis more prevalent in women but can also affect men

Worldwide, 1 in 3 women over age 50 will experience a bone fracture due to osteoporosis, according to the International Osteoporosis Foundation. But 1 in 5 men over age 50 will have the same issue.

Why are some kids prone to ear infections?

Ear infections often are a direct result of a common cold, allergy or other upper respiratory illness. These illnesses are more common during the winter, so ear infections also are more common this time of year.