Paul and Brittany Meesawat of the Summerlin area watched their home, their car and all of their belongings go up in flames July 21. Everyone was accounted for — Paul, Brittany, their 6-year-old son Nathan and their Boston terrier, Daisy — except their 4-year-old daughter Natalie.
“As a father, it’s very hard to watch the house burn down knowing your daughter is in there,” Paul Meesawat said.
Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Capt. Jim Gordon and his team were on the scene; they were recognized and received praise Sept. 5 at a Las Vegas City Council meeting for what came next.
Several team members entered the home to look for Natalie, to no avail.
Gordon crawled through the house full of flames that was pitch dark due to the smoke, feeling around for Natalie.
“Capt. Gordon saw a room on the first floor with the door shut, and just by instinct, thought there might be something there,” said Bill Marion, Natalie’s grandfather.
His insticts proved correct, and Natalie was rushed to a waiting ambulance in serious conditions. She was put in an induced coma at University Medical Center and since has recovered.
Ward 2 City Councilman Steve Seroka shook family members’ hands at the Sept. 5 ceremony, which came at the end of a City Council meeting. Fellow council members and Mayor Carolyn Goodman also were part of the ceremony.
Natalie’s family gave thanks, and Paul Meesawat said he is happy to be able to celebrate her fifth birthday. Their home is in the long process of being rebuilt.
“She’s going to be very spoiled, and I will not lose her ever again,” he said.