Under ‘ban the box’ effort, felons wouldn’t be asked about convictions in job applications

When Shawn Smith left prison after serving almost nine years, he was determined to start fresh.

He searched for job openings in the Las Vegas Valley as part of his effort to turn his life around. However, each application presented him with a dreaded question: Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

“Not only that, but there was a small space under that (where) I had to try to explain myself,” said Smith, who was convicted for drug possession and intent to sell. “It made me feel I was never going to get a job and get back to where I need to be.”

Assemblyman Tyrone Thompson, D-North Las Vegas, said that for people leaving prison, that question can be an obstacle in the way to finding meaningful employment.

“We are looking to get rid of that question on the front end,” Thompson said, he said of his and others’ efforts to “ban the box.”

Doing so wouldn’t prevent an employer from running a background check or asking about felony convictions later in the application process.

Instead, it’s aimed at giving the employer a chance to meet the applicant, who could explain his or her situation instead of being dismissed outright.

“It gives the employer a chance to say, ‘I like them. They have strong work ethic and I need them for my company,’” Thompson said.

More than 100 cities and counties in various states have eliminated the felony-conviction question from applications as part of the “ban the box” movement.

Thompson said he helped craft a “ban the box” bill in the 2015 legislative session. It didn’t move forward; he that added he and other groups around the state are crafting a bill for the upcoming session, which begins Feb. 6.

In October, the city of North Las Vegas announced it would remove the question from employment applications.

“That makes it the first in our state to do so,” Thompson said.

There exemptions, such as for the school district to ensure people with child sexual assault convictions aren’t working with children, he said.

After countless applications and continuing to explain his mistakes, Smith eventually landed a job. He now also works to help other ex-offenders with their job searches.

“I talk with them about how to best answer that question,” he said.

Smith added that not finding employment can lead ex-offenders back to old habits.

“If they can’t earn their keep at a job, they will return to the streets,” he said.

In preparation for the upcoming legislative session, Thompson has been working with other ex-offenders to speak about how banning the box could affect those trying to turn their lives around.

“You’d be surprised at how many people this affects,” he said. “We want them to be able to share their stories about second chances.”

Thompson said it’s all about creating better opportunities.

“This creates a fair chance for them to have a second chance,” he added. “People made mistakes earlier in life and served their time.”

To reach Henderson View reporter Michael Lyle, email mlyle@viewnews.com or call 702-387-5201. Find him on Twitter: @mjlyle.

ad-high_impact_4
Local
Construction for new 51s ballpark underway
New home of the Las Vegas 51s is planned to be finished by March 2019 in Summerlin according to team president Don Logan. (Marcus Villagran/Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Underground home was built as Cold War-era hideaway
The underground house at 3970 Spencer Street is one of the valley’s most unusual homes built 26 feet underground in 1978 by Girard “Jerry” B. Henderson, who, planned to survive the end of the world there.
Lip Smacking Foodie Tours takes you where the locals go
Donald Contursi talks about Lip Smacking Foodie Tours, which offers walking tours of restaurants on and off Las Vegas Boulevard with food samples and tidbits of history about the places they visit.
Bump stock manufacturers under fire
The Justice Department said last month that it had started the process to amend federal firearms regulations to clarify that federal law defines bump stocks as machine guns.
Art Bell’s Top 10 Shows
A selection of radio host Art Bell’s most popular shows.
Longtime Las Vegas attorney John Momot dies at age 74
Criminal defense attorney John Momot, who represented mob figures and even played himself in the movie “Casino,” has died.
David Copperfield in court after man injured during magic trick
The attorney for a British man who is suing illusionist David Copperfield said his client suffered serious injuries after being called on stage during Copperfield's show at MGM Grand.
5 things connecting Las Vegas and Marilyn Monroe
1. Marilyn Monroe, known then as Norma Jeane, obtained her first divorce in Las Vegas at the age of 20 on September 13, 1946. 2. According to some biographers, Monroe lived at 604 S. 3rd Street for four months during the summer of 1946. The house has since been torn down and is now the site of a parking lot. 3. In 1954, Monroe almost married Joe DiMaggio in Las Vegas but the wedding was called off last minute. The wedding was to be held at the Hotel El Rancho Vegas which was located on the southwest corner of Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard. 4. Las Vegas has at least one road dedicated to the star. Marilyn Monroe Avenue is located in east Las Vegas and intersects with Betty Davis Street and Cary Grant Court. 5. There are currently more than 20 Marilyn Monroe impersonators for hire in the Las Vegas Valley.
Sir Richard Branson announces purchase of Hard Rock Hotel
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, has acquired the Hard Rock Hotel with partners and plans to turn it into a Virgin-branded property by the end of 2019.
3 Centennial High School students killed in Calif. crash (Full)
Three Centennial High School students were killed Thursday morning in Southern California when their vehicle was struck by a suspected drunken driver while they were enjoying their spring break, according to a family member of one of the victims.
Retail Restroom Sexual Assault Suspect
Las Vegas police are asking for help finding a man they said groped a woman in a south Las Vegas Valley restroom. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Calvary Christian Learning Academy, “There was no fair warning.”
Samantha O’Brien, whose three-year-old daughter attended the Calvary Christian Learning Academy daycare, found out Monday night when her daughter’s teacher called about the school closing.
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like