Boston Marathon bombing survivors testify

She knew something awful had happened. It was smoky and all she could hear were muffled screams. Her foot was turned sideways and her legs wouldn’t work right. And her good friend, Krystle Campbell, was just lying there on the ground.

Karen Rand — she’s Karen McWatters now — dragged herself across the pavement. She wanted to get closer to Krystle so they could talk and take comfort from each other in the midst of so much chaos.

“I got close to her, ” she recalled. “For some reason, I got close to her head and we put our faces together.”

Krystle said that her legs hurt. They were the last words she’d speak. The two women held hands until Krystle’s went limp.

McWatters was the fifth witness of the first day of the terror trial of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is accused of detonating pressure cooker bombs with his brother to punish the United States for policies they believe inflict suffering on Muslims.

Three people were killed in the blasts: Campbell, a 29-year-old manager for a restaurant chain; Martin Richard, an 8-year-old boy; and Lingzi Lu, a 23-year-old grad student.

More than 250 others were injured. And the first day of the trial — after opening statements — revolved around a number of survivors of the attack, who recounted in detail the chaos of that day. Prosecutors called them to the stand to paint a picture of the havoc and pain the bombings inflicted. Tsarnaev’s attorneys chose not to cross-examine any of the survivors.

McWatters fought her emotions as she looked at a photograph that showed her and her friend of eight years lying amid a heap of dazed and broken people.

Their two faces, side by side, stand out among the jumble of limbs. Krystle’s mouth is open, but she is very pale.

“I was really scared,” McWatters testified, “and I remember screaming for someone to help us. Everybody was screaming, everybody was screaming for help. It seemed like a long time before help got to us, but it probably wasn’t.”

By the time first responders reached Krystle, it was too late. “They were doing CPR on Krystle and I started to think she didn’t make it,” McWatters said. She grabbed her friend’s cell phone and tucked it in her pocket. By the time she arrived at the hospital, shock had set in. She was confused.

For a while, that phone led hospital staffers to believe she was Krystle Campbell. When Krystle’s parents rushed to her bedside and saw she wasn’t their daughter, they were heartbroken, McWatters said. Krystle’s boyfriend recognized her and called her parents.

Two days later, doctors told her they were taking her leg. Her body was broken, and it hurt like crazy, she said. But not as much as losing her friend.

Campbell’s death was the first to be described in detail at Tsarnaev’s trial. But descriptions of the other two deaths at the marathon and the death of a police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will come soon.

There were runners conquering a 26.2-mile feat nearby, but Noah’s attention was elsewhere, playing with rocks and pretending to be a scientist.

The 5-year-old thought it was a very cool idea to handle the rocks, his mother, Rebekah Gregory, told jurors.

Gregory recalled that she thought it lucky that Noah was happy playing scientist.

The next thing she remembers is being hoisted and thrown back.

Other witnesses used similar phrases: Blown through the air, deafening explosion, cries for help.

Shane O’Hara, the manager at Marathon Sports, a running store near where the bombs went off, said it sounded like a loud cannon, followed by an instant cloud of smoke that covered the windows.

O’Hara recalled stepping outside to the smell of gunpowder and burning hair.

The decisions about whom to aid first — those among the injured needing help before others — still haunts him, he said.

There were cries, sirens and screams, he said in answer to prosecutors’ questions.

He sniffled as a photo of the blown-out storefront was shown in the courtroom. He told the jury the plea he heard: “Stay with me, stay with me.”

Outside, Gregory tried to sit up, but could not rise much.

“My first instinct as a mother was where in the world was my baby, where was my son,” Gregory said.

She couldn’t see her legs, but she saw her bones lying next to her on the sidewalk, she testified.

“At that point I thought that was the day I would die,” she said. Gregory lifted her arms and her bones were sticking out of her flesh.

Somehow, over the cacophony, she heard Noah calling for her.

She wasn’t imagining it.

Colton Kilgore, who was also part of Gregory’s group and another of Wednesday’s witnesses, remembered the terrified boy looking for his mother.

The day’s testimony was dramatic and emotional, most likely as the prosecutors wanted it.

Anyone who follows the news has seen footage of the bombings and read accounts of what happened. The power of the survivors’ testimonies in the courtroom was in the details that made what some would call an unimaginable crime into something very real.

They shared small memories, like what people said in the immediate aftermath of the attack.

Gregory told the jury about how she knew Noah was being cared for.

Then she focused on the tourniquet that was being twisted on her leg by aid-givers.

“We have an amputee,” she saw one of them mouth.

What they told her aloud was something along the lines of “This is really, really bad, but we will help you.”

Another survivor, Sydney Corcoran, testified that after the blasts — which left her ears ringing “just like leaving a concert” — she was hurt but didn’t know that she was severely injured.

She limped to a railing, grabbed it, and passed out, she said.

Eyes open again shortly afterward, she found herself on her back, with a group of men applying pressure on her thigh, trying to figure out where she was bleeding.

“I remember a man putting his forehead to my head and telling me I’d be all right,” she said.

Corcoran was a senior in high school. After the one man told her she would be OK, another said he could see her eyes going white.

“I could feel my body going tingly and I was getting increasingly cold. I knew I was dying,” she testified.

In court, she was asked if she knew why she was feeling cold.

“I was dying. The blood was leaving my body. I was bleeding out,” she answered.

It felt like she was sliding into sleep.

Almost peaceful, Corcoran said. Like she was going to go to sleep and fade away.

Doctors saved the teen, but her life was not spared the pain of the attack.

Corcoran awoke in a hospital and saw her father, she testified.

Because she was intubated, she motioned for a pen and a paper and wrote a question for her father. Was her mother alive?

“Once he looked at what I’d written he started to cry,” Corcoran told jurors. The father responded: “She’s OK, but her legs are gone.”

Ron Jeremy and Heidi Fleiss React to Dennis Hof's Death
Ron Jeremy and Heidi Fleiss speak about their friend and prominent brothel owner Dennis Hof's death at Dennis Hof's Love Ranch. (Benjamin Hager/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada brothel owner Dennis Hof has died
Nevada brothel owner and Republican candidate for Nevada State Assembly District 36, Dennis Hof has died. He was 72. Nye County Sherriff's office confirmed. Hof owned Love Ranch brothel, located in Crystal, Nevada.
Las Vegas police investigate suspicious package at shopping center
Las Vegas police evacuated a southeast valley shopping center at Flamingo and Sandhill roads early Tuesday morning while they investigated reports of a suspicious package. (Max Michor/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
The Las Vegas Metro hosts the K-9 Trials
The Las Vegas Metro K-9 Trials returns to the Orleans Arena to benefit the Friends For Las Vegas Police K-9 group.
Kingman residents love their little town
Residents of Kingman, Ariz. talk about how they ended up living in the Route 66 town, and what they love about their quiet community. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Service at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Twelve unclaimed veterans are honored at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City in Oct. 9, 2018. (Briana Erickson/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas house prices reach highest level in 11 years
Las Vegas house prices are rising But so is the amount of available homes on the market Still, properties priced below $300,000 are selling fast And September was the first time since June 2007 that the median house price reached the $300,000 mark Las Vegas home prices have been rising at one of the fastest rates in the country over the past year Recent data show the market is now less affordable than the national average
National Night Out
About 100 Summerlin residents gathered at Park Centre Dr. in Summerlin on Tuesday for National Night Out. Lt. Joshua Bitsko with Las Vegas Metro, played with 3-year-old David who was dressed as a police officer. Face painting, fire truck tours and more kept kids busy as parents roamed behind them. (Mia Sims/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Rural homeless issue comes to a head in Pahrump
On Sept. 12, Pahrump sheriff deputies told residents of a homeless encampment on private property that they had 15 minutes to vacate and grab their belongings. That decision might face some legal consequences. (Rachel Aston/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remembrance blood drive on October 1
A blood drive was held at the Las Vegas Convention Center on the one year anniversary of the Oct. 1 shooting. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remembrance Lights memorial unveiled at St. Rose hospital
A dedication ceremony was held at St. Rose to unveil a memorial and to read the names of those who died on October 1, a year ago. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October Blood Drive Remembrance Wall
(Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October Blood Drive
Vitalent hosts a blood drive at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018, the first anniversary of the Las Vegas shootings. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October sunrise remembrance ceremony in Las Vegas
Myanda Smith, sister of Las Vegas shooting victim Neysa Tonks, speaks at the sunrise remembrance ceremony at the Clark County Government Center in downtown Las Vegas, Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. (Chitose Suzuki/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
‪Gov. Brian Sandoval speaks to crowd at Oct. 1 sunrise remembrance ceremony ‬
‪Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval speaks to the crowd at the Oct. 1 sunrise remembrance ceremony ‬at the Clark County Government Center in downtown Las Vegas, Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. (Michael Quine/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Father of Route 91 Harvest festival shooting victim talks about college scholarship in his daughter's memory
Chris Davis, father of a Route 91 Harvest festival shooting victim, Neysa Tonks, talks about a college scholarship in his daughter's memory to assist the children of those who died in the shooting. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Oct. 1 survivor Malinda Baldridge talks about life after the shooting
Malinda Baldridge of Reno attended the Route 91 Harvest festival with her daughter, Breanna, 17, and was shot twice in the leg when the gunman fired on the crowd.
Route 91 survivor talks about lack of progress in gun legislation
Heather Gooze, a Route 91 survivor, talks about lack of progress in gun legislation since the Oct 1. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas/Review-Journal) @reviewjournal
Review held in death of man after encounter with Las Vegas police
The mother of Tashii Brown, who died after an encounter with Las Vegas police on the Strip, not satisfied after public review of evidence. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Clark County Museum opening "How We Mourned: Selected Artifacts from the October 1 Memorials"
The Clark County Museum is opening an exhibit "How We Mourned: Selected Artifacts from the October 1 Memorials" of items left to honor the victims killed in the Route 91 Harvest festival shooting. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Memorial service for former RJ lawyer Mark Hinueber
Mark Hinueber, the Review-Journal's former lawyer and defender of the First Amendment, died in Las Vegas on Aug. 23. Hinueber, who was 66, worked at the RJ and other newspapers for 42 years. On Saturday, his friends and family gathered for a memorial service.
Army veteran honored in Henderson event
Army Sgt. Adam Poppenhouse was honored by fellow veterans in an event hosted by a One Hero at a Time at the Henderson Events Center.
Michelle Obama and Keegan-Michael Key urge Nevadans to vote
Former first lady Michelle Obama and comedian Keegan-Michael Key urged Nevadans to vote at Chaparral High School in Las Vegas Sunday, Sep. 23, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Nevada Task Force One Cheers Golden Knights
Nevada Task Force One Cheers Golden Knights
1 dead, 1 wounded in North Las Vegas standoff
A woman was hospitalized with serious injuries on Thursday morning after being shot inside a North Las Vegas house. Police responded about 11 p.m. to a shooting at a home on the 5600 block of Tropic Breeze Street, near Ann Road and Bruce Street. The wounded woman, police believe, was shot by a man, who later barricaded himself inside the house. SWAT was called to assist, and when officers entered the house, they discovered the man dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Las Vegas Teen Makes Clothing Resale His Side Hustle
Las Vegas resident Reanu Elises, 18, started buying and selling streetwear online when he was a high school junior. Like many other young adults, the world of online resale applications like Depop and Mercari have made selling clothing online for a profit easy. Now, Elises spends his free time at thrift shops looking for rare and vintage clothing he can list on his on his shop. Now in his freshman year at UNLV as a business marketing major, Elises hopes to open a shop of his own one day and start his own clothing brand. He estimates that he's made about $1000 from just thrifted finds in the past year, which he'll use to buy more thrift clothing and help pay for expenses in college. (Madelyn Reese/ Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Fruition Vineyards Encourages Young Entrepreneurs to "Buy, Flip, Dream"
Once a month, young adults gather at Fruition Vineyards on South Maryland Parkway near UNLV to dig through a stack of rare, vintage and designer clothing that's marked down well below it's resale value. Shop founder Valerie Julian began the vent, dubbed "Fruition Vineyards" in August after running her streetwear shop since 2005. The event gives young entrepreneurs the opportunity to "buy, flip, dream" according to Jean. Meaning that they're encouraged to buy the clothing for sale and find a way to resell it for a profit, then reinvest that into whatever dream they pursue: college, a hobby or their own resale business. Shoppers lined up starting an hour before noon on the last Saturday in April for the opportunity and spoke about what they hoped to do with their finds and profits. (Madelyn Reese/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Local man goes under cover searching for answers to homelessness
Licensed mental health therapist Sheldon Jacobs spent 48 hours under cover posing as a homeless man in an attempt to gain perspective on the complex issue.
Social Work UNLV Lecturer's Calling
Ivet Aldaba-Valera was the first person in her family to graduate from both high school and college. The 33-year-old UNLV lecturer is now pursuing her Ph. D in public policy at the school and has used her degree in social work to engage with the young Latino and Latina community of Las Vegas. (Madelyn Reese/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Gold Point townsperson talks about why he choose to live in a ghost town
Gold Point townsperson Walt Kremin talks about the ghost town in Nevada he calls home. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
News Headlines
Local Spotlight
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like