El Faro captain’s life was at sea, where he died

PORTLAND, Maine — His career began and ended at sea.

The sea was also where the life of Michael Davidson, the captain of the American cargo ship El Faro, began and ended as well.

Thirty-three people, including Davidson, died when the El Faro sank in the Atlantic Ocean after encountering Hurricane Joaquin on October 1.

Though the ship’s wreckage would eventually be located more than a month later, the National Transportation Safety Board announced Monday that the search for the vessel’s voyage data recorder — its so-called black box has officially ended without them finding it.

Without ever hearing the VDR’s recorded conversations that took place between Davidson and his employer, TOTE Inc., the particulars of what led up to the deadliest maritime accident of its kind in more than 60 years may always remain a mystery.

Born to be a captain

To get to know Michael Davidson, one must come here, to the bustling industrial waterfront of Portland, Maine, where diesel-rich air fills the lungs and a steady cacophony of fog horns and seagull squawks provide something of a soundtrack along these docks, the very docks that shaped the man  and the captain  that Davidson would become.

“This is where Captain Michael Davidson grew up,” said Nathan Mills, a ferry boat captain for Casco Bay Lines, as he pulled up to the dock at Great Diamond Island on a recent November evening.

“This is where he started learning about the ferries and where he probably wanted to become a captain … watching these ferries go by every day,” said Mills. “Eventually he came to work here when he was 16 years old as a deck hand.”

“Mike was a fun-loving guy, he was very gregarious,” said Larry Legere, Davidson’s boss when he was a Casco Bay Lines deckhand in the 1970s. “He was part of the community; he was part of the family of this business that we’re in.”

Confident risk taker

Davidson “was very confident in his abilities,” according to Legere. “Even back when he was a deckhand for me and then later when he was a captain on a ferry boat, he was always very confident in his ability to get the job done.”

It was that confidence, perhaps, that drove Davidson to seek “bigger and better things,” as Mills called it, than the tedious predictability of ferrying passengers through the quaint confines of Portland Harbor and Casco Bay.

Davidson graduated from Maine Maritime Academy in 1988, and later from the cramped wheelhouse of the Peaks Island ferry to the expansive bridges on board the massive, ocean-traversing oil tankers of Arco and ConocoPhillips, according to Nick Mavodones, Davidson’s friend of over 40 years.

When he died, Davidson, 53, had been a professional mariner for 20 years, with 10 years as captain, according to his employer, TOTE, Inc.

At the time of his final voyage, Davidson, who had worked for TOTE for three years, was the captain of the El Faro, a nearly 800-foot container ship that hauled cargo every week from its home port in Jacksonville, Florida, to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Final voyage

For its final voyage, the 40-year-old El Faro had more than $2 million worth of “grocery, cars (and) retail products,” according to TOTE spokesman Mike Hanson. “Products needed for daily life in Puerto Rico.”

On Sept. 29, Tropical Storm Joaquin was churning in the Atlantic, but threatening to soon become a hurricane when the El Faro left Jacksonville, Florida, at 8:15 p.m.

The next day, Davidson emailed a TOTE safety official from sea to inform him that he intended to take a route 65 miles south of now-Hurricane Joaquin’s predicted path, the NTSB said. TOTE executive Phil Greene said Davidson told the company that he had “a sound plan,” and that “the crew was well prepared.”

“My guess is that he saw that he could outrun the storm, providing everything went right,” said Legere.

But everything didn’t go right. Everything went horribly  and fatally  wrong.

On Thursday at 7 a.m., less than two days out of Jacksonville, Davidson called TOTE to report “a marine emergency,” according to the NTSB. Davidson told his employer that the hull had breached, they were taking on water, and that the ship had lost propulsion.

Less than 20 minutes later, the El Faro emitted its final alert signal. It was less than 20 miles from the eye of the hurricane.

Davidson and the 32 others on board would never be heard from again.

Lawyer: Captain faced pressure

As news of the disaster came to light, most people  at least those outside of the maritime industry — may have found themselves asking: “Why in the world would a ship knowingly sail through so much bad weather?”

“That is the expectation for these types of shipping companies,” said Legere, who is not affiliated with TOTE but has spent decades in the industry. “It’s a very competitive business. It’s very expensive to delay trips.” “But, I don’t believe he would have been pressured by the company, considering the weather forecast and so forth.”

Scott Wagner, a lawyer representing the family of El Faro crewmember Jackie Jones Jr., disagrees.

“Capt. Davidson and the crew (were) pressured to make it there on time,” said Wagner, who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against TOTE on behalf of Jones’ family. “They are pressured more to get from Jacksonville to Puerto Rico than they are from Puerto Rico back to Jacksonville, because when they come back they don’t have as much cargo on board and are not as much in a rush,” he explained.

In response to whether TOTE pressured Davidson to make it to Puerto Rico, Hanson said that “no schedule or financial obligation is more important than the safety of our seafarers.” As for the claims in Wagner’s lawsuit, the company said it “will not discuss individual legal actions, out of respect for the legal process.”

Davidson called ‘confident’ and ‘ambitious’

One former El Faro crewmember, one who served under Davidson’s leadership, said the fatal disaster was likely the result of a combination of pressure from management along with Davidson’s own self-confidence.

“Capt. Davidson, he was a good guy,” said Christopher Cash. “But, he was kind of like (…) he was on a mission. Nothing was going to stop him. He was real ambitious.”

It was a familiar refrain. CNN spoke with dozens of people in the maritime industry in both Portland and in Jacksonville who knew Michael Davidson, and almost all said the same thing: good-natured, great guy, totally confident.

But how did that confidence influence his decision-making as a captain? Did it lend to a proclivity to take risks?

“He was skilled, prudent and confident,” said Mavodones, who is Casco Bay’s operations manager. “But I would not call him a risk-taker.”

“I think that he was a good captain,” added Legere. “I believe it was just a very bad run of luck.”

‘Very violent end’

When the NTSB announced that the Navy had zeroed in on El Faro’s wreckage, they said it was sitting upright on the bottom of the sea, its stern buried in 30 feet of sediment. However, the bridge  the section that houses the navigational system and from where the officers command the voyage  was torn clean off, something quite jarring to those in the industry.

“I’m pretty sure it happened very quickly and very violently,” Legere said of El Faro’s fatal encounter with Joaquin. “If it was enough to rip the bridge right off that ship, it was a very violent end.”

A violent end brought on by a risk that Davidson decided to take. But it was also a risk shared by TOTE, and all 33 people who got on that ship in Jacksonville on Sept. 29.

“This is what we do for a living,” said Legere, a career mariner. “We know it’s dangerous and people die doing it. Every time you untie the boat, you’re taking a risk.”

Mojave Poppy Bees
Male Mojave poppy bees exhibit territorial fighting behavior. The Center for Biological Diversity wants the bee, found only in Clark County, to be added to the endangered species list. (Zach Portman/University of Minnesota Department of Entomology)
Clark County Schools announce random searches
Clark County School District middle and high school students will be subject to random searches for weapons under a new initiative to combat the wave of guns found on campus. (Amelia Pak-Harvey/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Ron Jeremy and Heidi Fleiss React to Dennis Hof's Death
Ron Jeremy and Heidi Fleiss speak about their friend and prominent brothel owner Dennis Hof's death at Dennis Hof's Love Ranch. (Benjamin Hager/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada brothel owner Dennis Hof has died
Nevada brothel owner and Republican candidate for Nevada State Assembly District 36, Dennis Hof has died. He was 72. Nye County Sherriff's office confirmed. Hof owned Love Ranch brothel, located in Crystal, Nevada.
Las Vegas police investigate suspicious package at shopping center
Las Vegas police evacuated a southeast valley shopping center at Flamingo and Sandhill roads early Tuesday morning while they investigated reports of a suspicious package. (Max Michor/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
The Las Vegas Metro hosts the K-9 Trials
The Las Vegas Metro K-9 Trials returns to the Orleans Arena to benefit the Friends For Las Vegas Police K-9 group.
Kingman residents love their little town
Residents of Kingman, Ariz. talk about how they ended up living in the Route 66 town, and what they love about their quiet community. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Service at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Twelve unclaimed veterans are honored at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City in Oct. 9, 2018. (Briana Erickson/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas house prices reach highest level in 11 years
Las Vegas house prices are rising But so is the amount of available homes on the market Still, properties priced below $300,000 are selling fast And September was the first time since June 2007 that the median house price reached the $300,000 mark Las Vegas home prices have been rising at one of the fastest rates in the country over the past year Recent data show the market is now less affordable than the national average
National Night Out
About 100 Summerlin residents gathered at Park Centre Dr. in Summerlin on Tuesday for National Night Out. Lt. Joshua Bitsko with Las Vegas Metro, played with 3-year-old David who was dressed as a police officer. Face painting, fire truck tours and more kept kids busy as parents roamed behind them. (Mia Sims/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Rural homeless issue comes to a head in Pahrump
On Sept. 12, Pahrump sheriff deputies told residents of a homeless encampment on private property that they had 15 minutes to vacate and grab their belongings. That decision might face some legal consequences. (Rachel Aston/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remembrance blood drive on October 1
A blood drive was held at the Las Vegas Convention Center on the one year anniversary of the Oct. 1 shooting. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Remembrance Lights memorial unveiled at St. Rose hospital
A dedication ceremony was held at St. Rose to unveil a memorial and to read the names of those who died on October 1, a year ago. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October Blood Drive Remembrance Wall
(Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October Blood Drive
Vitalent hosts a blood drive at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018, the first anniversary of the Las Vegas shootings. (Mat Luschek/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
1October sunrise remembrance ceremony in Las Vegas
Myanda Smith, sister of Las Vegas shooting victim Neysa Tonks, speaks at the sunrise remembrance ceremony at the Clark County Government Center in downtown Las Vegas, Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. (Chitose Suzuki/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
‪Gov. Brian Sandoval speaks to crowd at Oct. 1 sunrise remembrance ceremony ‬
‪Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval speaks to the crowd at the Oct. 1 sunrise remembrance ceremony ‬at the Clark County Government Center in downtown Las Vegas, Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. (Michael Quine/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Father of Route 91 Harvest festival shooting victim talks about college scholarship in his daughter's memory
Chris Davis, father of a Route 91 Harvest festival shooting victim, Neysa Tonks, talks about a college scholarship in his daughter's memory to assist the children of those who died in the shooting. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Oct. 1 survivor Malinda Baldridge talks about life after the shooting
Malinda Baldridge of Reno attended the Route 91 Harvest festival with her daughter, Breanna, 17, and was shot twice in the leg when the gunman fired on the crowd.
Route 91 survivor talks about lack of progress in gun legislation
Heather Gooze, a Route 91 survivor, talks about lack of progress in gun legislation since the Oct 1. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas/Review-Journal) @reviewjournal
Review held in death of man after encounter with Las Vegas police
The mother of Tashii Brown, who died after an encounter with Las Vegas police on the Strip, not satisfied after public review of evidence. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Clark County Museum opening "How We Mourned: Selected Artifacts from the October 1 Memorials"
The Clark County Museum is opening an exhibit "How We Mourned: Selected Artifacts from the October 1 Memorials" of items left to honor the victims killed in the Route 91 Harvest festival shooting. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
Memorial service for former RJ lawyer Mark Hinueber
Mark Hinueber, the Review-Journal's former lawyer and defender of the First Amendment, died in Las Vegas on Aug. 23. Hinueber, who was 66, worked at the RJ and other newspapers for 42 years. On Saturday, his friends and family gathered for a memorial service.
Army veteran honored in Henderson event
Army Sgt. Adam Poppenhouse was honored by fellow veterans in an event hosted by a One Hero at a Time at the Henderson Events Center.
Michelle Obama and Keegan-Michael Key urge Nevadans to vote
Former first lady Michelle Obama and comedian Keegan-Michael Key urged Nevadans to vote at Chaparral High School in Las Vegas Sunday, Sep. 23, 2018. (Marcus Villagran/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @marcusvillagran
Nevada Task Force One Cheers Golden Knights
Nevada Task Force One Cheers Golden Knights
1 dead, 1 wounded in North Las Vegas standoff
A woman was hospitalized with serious injuries on Thursday morning after being shot inside a North Las Vegas house. Police responded about 11 p.m. to a shooting at a home on the 5600 block of Tropic Breeze Street, near Ann Road and Bruce Street. The wounded woman, police believe, was shot by a man, who later barricaded himself inside the house. SWAT was called to assist, and when officers entered the house, they discovered the man dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Las Vegas Teen Makes Clothing Resale His Side Hustle
Las Vegas resident Reanu Elises, 18, started buying and selling streetwear online when he was a high school junior. Like many other young adults, the world of online resale applications like Depop and Mercari have made selling clothing online for a profit easy. Now, Elises spends his free time at thrift shops looking for rare and vintage clothing he can list on his on his shop. Now in his freshman year at UNLV as a business marketing major, Elises hopes to open a shop of his own one day and start his own clothing brand. He estimates that he's made about $1000 from just thrifted finds in the past year, which he'll use to buy more thrift clothing and help pay for expenses in college. (Madelyn Reese/ Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Fruition Vineyards Encourages Young Entrepreneurs to "Buy, Flip, Dream"
Once a month, young adults gather at Fruition Vineyards on South Maryland Parkway near UNLV to dig through a stack of rare, vintage and designer clothing that's marked down well below it's resale value. Shop founder Valerie Julian began the vent, dubbed "Fruition Vineyards" in August after running her streetwear shop since 2005. The event gives young entrepreneurs the opportunity to "buy, flip, dream" according to Jean. Meaning that they're encouraged to buy the clothing for sale and find a way to resell it for a profit, then reinvest that into whatever dream they pursue: college, a hobby or their own resale business. Shoppers lined up starting an hour before noon on the last Saturday in April for the opportunity and spoke about what they hoped to do with their finds and profits. (Madelyn Reese/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @MadelynGReese
Local man goes under cover searching for answers to homelessness
Licensed mental health therapist Sheldon Jacobs spent 48 hours under cover posing as a homeless man in an attempt to gain perspective on the complex issue.
News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like