Walker remains hospitalized

Oakland Raiders wide receiver Javon Walker remained hospitalized with a concussion and a battered face Tuesday, one day after he was beaten, robbed and left unconscious on a street after a night of partying.

Metro Police said a large amount of cash and some jewelry were taken from Walker, who suffered "a moderate concussion and significant injuries to his face."

Police Lt. Clinton Nichols said detectives are retracing Walker’s activities in the hours before he was found injured Monday morning near the intersection of Winnick Avenue and Koval Lane, behind the Strip.

"That’s one of the first things we do, backtrack what he did and where he stayed," Nichols said, adding that the investigation was still in the early stages. "We knew there was a large amount of cash taken, and some jewelry."

Walker had visited the nightclub Tryst at the Wynn on Saturday night. He then spent Sunday night at Body English at the Hard Rock before leaving about 3:30 a.m. Monday, according to casino spokeswoman Dorian Cantrell.

Cantrell said there were no reports of a disturbance at the club.

Nichols said detectives spoke briefly with Walker on Monday and planned a second interview Tuesday night at Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center.


A Raiders spokesman said the team was in the process of gathering information and had no further comment.

On Monday, police spokesman Bill Cassell said in a statement that Walker was taken to a hospital with "significant injuries" and was in fair condition.

Walker, 29, signed a six-year, $55 million deal with the Raiders after being released by the Denver Broncos in February.

Walker sought a fresh start after Broncos teammate Darrent Williams died in his arms in the back of a limousine on Jan. 1, 2006, in downtown Denver.

In a 2007 "Real Sports" interview, Walker said then-teammate Brandon Marshall and Marshall’s cousin exchanged heated words with two men who later confronted Williams and his group after taking offense when Marshall sprayed them with champagne.

The drive-by shooting remains unsolved.

Walker injured his right knee for the second time in his career last season and was limited to eight games and 26 catches in 2007.

Walker was a first-round draft pick by the Green Bay Packers in 2001 and had a breakout season in 2004, with 89 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.

He tore a ligament in his right knee the next season and played only one game.

He was traded to Denver in 2006 and bounced back with 69 catches for 1,084 yards and eight touchdowns.

News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like