U of Utah student injured after scarf catches conveyor belt

SALT LAKE CITY — A University of Utah student employee was critically injured when a scarf she was wearing became caught in a conveyor belt at the campus bookstore.

Officials say the approximately 20-year-old woman was working in a loading area at the bookstore Wednesday morning when her scarf accidentally dangled onto the machine.

A statement from the university says the scarf caught in the belt and started to tighten, which constricted her airway. The woman hurt her hand trying to free herself but couldn’t get loose.

Fellow employees helped release her.

Salt Lake City fire spokesman Jasen Asay says paramedics got the woman breathing again and she was taken to University Hospital.

University spokeswoman Maria O’Mara says it’s not clear whether the store had any clothing guidelines for students working on the equipment. The university would not release the woman’s name or condition Thursday.

News Headlines
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like