Released in 1987 and set in the “near future,” the original “RoboCop” intercut its bloody action with fake newscasts featuring anchors played by real-life TV newsreaders Mario Machado and a big-haired Leeza Gibbons.
This week’s “RoboCop” reboot, set in 2028, also makes up a few headlines, this time in the form of a news-crawl in the middle of a show hosted by pundit Pat Novak (Samuel L. Jackson).
Here’s a look at how the two compare:
Headlines from 1987’s future:
1) The dangers of a neutron bomb in Pretoria, South Africa
2) U.S. and Mexican forces team up to strike rebel rocket positions in Acapulco
3) The president holds his first news conference aboard the Star Wars orbiting peace platform
4) And a malfunctioning laser cannon on the “peace platform” kills 113 people, including two ex-presidents, in Santa Barbara
Headlines from 2014’s future:
1) Beer overtakes water as the world’s most consumed beverage
2) Astronauts take hookers into outer space
3) Mexican president opposes illegal Americans
4) And, while not exactly a headline, the best news from 2028: The Detroit Free Press is still around, giving hope to journalists everywhere.