A teen accidentally started a fire that “gutted” a family home Thursday afternoon, the Las Vegas fire department said.
Department spokesman Tim Szymanski said a teenager was cooking in his one-story home when a pan he was using caught on fire.
The teen tried to run outside with the pan, however, as he got to the back door, the it became too hot to hold and he dropped it. The drapes then caught on fire and flames spread, Syzmanski said.
“That’s a common mistake,” Syzmanski said. He explained it’s better to leave the pan on the stove and try to smother it with a lid. Cooking equipment can get really hot, and if dropped, burning contents will fly everywhere, he said.
Fire crews arrived at 2304 S. 6th St., near Sahara Avenue, just after noon.
The teen made it outside safely with the family dog, but the blaze caused an about $75,000 in damage and displaced the family of three.
No one was injured.
The American Red Cross was assisting the family, Szymanski said.
Contact Wesley Juhl at firstname.lastname@example.org and 702-383-0381. Find him on Twitter: @WesJuhl.