In the midst of the gloom and sadness hanging over our city as a result of last Sunday’s gun massacre on concertgoers at the Rt 91 Harvest country music festival there’s a rainbow of light:
• A “healing garden” on land donated by the city of Las Vegas honoring #lasvegasshooting victims opens tonight (Oct. 6) at 7:30 p.m. Park for free at City Hall and take the #downtownloop over. People can write messages on a wall made from pallets. Siegfried & Roy donated the Tree of Life, which is in the center of 58 other trees remembering the slain.
• There also may be solace with the Rise Lantern Festival at Moapa River Reservation being held this weekend. Send prayers and thoughts of strength skyward to overcome the grief from last weekend.
• In addition, Cirque du Soleil showed its support today (Oct. 7) with news of a $1 million contribution consisting of $500,000 to the shooting victims fund and 5,000 tickets to the eight Cirque shows in Las Vegas for first responders. Cirque also will take part in the upcoming Vegas Cares benefit concert.
• It now appears that several of the independent benefit fundraiser concerts with Strip and local entertainers may all be combined into one Vegas Cares show. I’m reliably hearing that Station Casino’s is giving an OK to the 2,400-seat Pearl theater at its Palms being used for the combined effort before month’s end.
• Understandably, though many of the Strip’s stars have canceled shows and concerts out of respect for the dead and injured. Jennifer Lopez canceled her shows at Planet Hollywood tonight (Oct. 6) and tomorrow (Oct. 7) but Britney Spears will resume her “Piece of Me” residency there as of Wednesday (Oct. 11). The famous Diner en Blanc (Dinner in White) has also been canceled and Saturday’s Hard Rock concert with Insane Clown Posse has also been scrapped. Incubus has canceled its five-night mini-run at The Joint, which was due to start tomorrow (Oct. 7). In addition, our beloved Opportunity Village has postponed its OktOVerfest at The Magical Forest.
• Through Oct. 14, our “Human Nature” stars from Australia will donate proceeds from their Venetian “Jukebox” shows to the Victims Fund. Here’s a video of their emotional return concert with the song “People Get Ready” after they canceled shows originally out of respect to the victims:
“It’s been a heavy time and our prayers and thoughts are with the victims and their families from this tragic event,” said Andrew Tierney of “Human Nature.” “Las Vegas is known for bringing joy and entertainment to the world and we are so proud to be a part of this very caring community and hope that music can help us all heal.”
“Our city has come together to support the families and we want to do what we can to help them during this difficult time,” said Adam Steck, founder & CEO of SPI Entertainment and producer of “Jukebox.” “This is one of the worst things to ever happen in Las Vegas but as a resident of this city it’s heartwarming to see the love and support of our neighbors, strangers, and the entire world.”
• Tonight’s (Oct. 6) Kings of Leon show at the Hard Rock Hotel will continue as planned but the band is donating all of the proceeds from the concert to Nashville’s Music City Cares Fund, which is directing country music’s support of Las Vegas nonprofits helping with immediate and long-term needs of the festival shooting victims.
• Steve Wynn will appear on Fox News Sunday with host Chris Wallace in a pre-recorded interview about how he runs security at his Wynn and Encore hotels to lower the risk of any incident similar to last Sunday’s gun massacre from Mandalay Bay.
• I’ll appear with Neil Cavuto on Fox News tomorrow morning (Oct. 7) in a two-hour special that will memorialize the highlights of courage, bravery and heroism shown by the first responders, police, medics, ambulance crews and trauma doctors.
• I’ll also film a segment at the Bally’s buffet for the new “2Chainz” TV reality show. Nine top British entertainers from the 1980s will attempt to recapture long-gone stardom filming a “Last Chance” concert at The Orleans tomorrow (Oct. 7) night.
• “Mindfreak” superstar magician Criss Angel will receive the American Cancer Society’s Compassion Heart Award tonight (Oct. 6)
• The spotlight will shine on tomorrow (Oct. 7) night’s premiere of the new aqua-spectacular “World of Wonder” at the Rio with aquabats, acrobats, water-bound dancers and a 60-year-old plus stuntwoman who shoots an apple off her head with a crossbow and arrow that she triggers by firing at it from across the stage with another crossbow. Be sure to read my interview in Sunday’s Review-Journal ENT print section of Silvia Silvia’s nightly dicing with death!
• The Choreographers Showcase 10th anniversary celebration collaboration between Cirque du Soleil and our Nevada Ballet theater will go on as planned Sunday afternoon at the Mystere Theater in Treasure island.
Check out this weekend’s concerts and star events that are still on schedule in what we affectionately dubbed the Royal Robin Rundown:
• Rascal Flatts at The Venetian for two nights
• Kings of Leon at Hard Rock Casino
• Billy Idol at House of Blues for two nights
• The Guess Who at Golden Nugget
• Reel Big Fish at Boulder Station
• Nas, Wale at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
• Megadeath at Palms Casino
• 360 at Aliante
• Wes Winters at South Point for two days
• Vanessa LeGrand at South Point
• Makana at The Smith Center for two days
• Tower of Power at South Point all weekend
• Jon Bellion at Brooklyn Bowl
• Tape Face at Flamingo all weekend
• The Amazing Johnathan at Red Rock Resort for two days
• Jon Lovitz & Dana Carvey at The Foundry for two days
• Joe Rogan at The Mirage
• Jim Belushi and The Board of Comedy at The Laugh Factory at Tropicana all weekend
• Erik Myers at Hard Rock Hotel
Tickets on sale:
• The Original Misfits at MGM Grand Garden Arena Dec. 28
• Rise Lantern Festival at Moapa River Reservation for two days
• Disney’s The Little Mermaid at The Smith Center all weekend
• Las Vegas Food & Wine Festival at Red Rock Resort for two nights.
• Home Improvement & Landscape Expo at The Orleans Arena all weekend
• Love & Vine chefs dine-around at The Aquatic Pool Club at the Palazzo
• PCCHA Performance Horse Futurity & Western Gift Show at South Point all weekend
• Oktoberfest Celebration Continues with Frankie Moreno at Hofbrauhaus
• First Friday Celebrates Anniversary: One World Through Art in Downtown Las Vegas
• Young People’s Guide to Broadway at Summerlin Library Theatre
• Las Vegas Bike Fest at Downtown Las Vegas Events Center all weekend
• Boys Nite Out at Lied Memorial Boys & Girls Club
• DJ Shift at Jewel nightclub
• Zedd at Hakkasan nightclub
• DJ Big Ben at 1 Oak
• DJ Que at The Bank
• DJ Shift at Wet Republic
• DJ Nova at Liquid pool
• DJ D Miles at Bare Pool lounge
• DJ Esco at Drai’s nightclub
• Queensryche & Skid Row at Sunset Station
• Maxwell, Raphael Saadiq at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
• ABBA the tribute concert at Tropicana
• Spazmatics at South Point
• Wayne Brady at The Mirage
• Ali Wong at Park Theater at Monte Carlo
• American Cancer Society Honors Criss Angel at Construction vs. Cancer event at Symphony Park
• UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee at T-Mobile Arena
• Grow Your Own Festival at Vegas Roots Community Garden
• Oktoberfest Celebration Continues with Legends in Concert stars at Hofbrauhaus
• Gordon Ramsay’s Fish & Chips restaurant celebrates its first Anniversary at The LINQ
• Girls Nite Out at Lied Memorial Boys & Girls Club
• Show Your Heart Run’ for Children’s Heart Foundation at Kellogg Zaher Park
• Steve Aoki at Jewel nightclub
• Armen Van Buuren at Omnia nightclub
• Tiesto at Hakkasan
• DJ Turbulence at 1 Oak
• DJ Wellman at The Bank
• Jauz at Wet Republic
• Kid Conrad at Liquid pool
• DJ Que at Bare Pool lounge
• Big Sean at Drai’s nightclub
• DJ Zea at Embassy nightclub
• DJ D Miles at Foundation Room
• Zion I at Brooklyn Bowl
• A Choreographers’ Showcase-the 10th-anniversary celebration by Nevada Ballet Theater and Cirque du Soleil at the Mystere Theatre in Treasure Island
• Damian Marley at Mandalay Bay
• Erik Myers at Hard Rock Hotel
• Lakers vs. Kings at T-Mobile Arena
• Brunch to Broadway at Red Rock Resort
• Annual Pawn Stars Poker Run To Benefit Epilepsy Foundation at World Famous Gold & Silver Pawn Shop
• Phoreyz at Omnia nightclub
• Nghtmre at Hakkasan
• Kid Conrad at The Bank
• Steve Aoki at Wet Republic
• Greg Lopez at Bare Pool lounge
• DJ Franzen at Drai’s nightclub
It will be a week since the Rt 91 Harvest festival massacre as America’s worst ever mass shooting and we will not forget the heroics of our first responders and the caring compassion of locals who raced victims to our local hospitals, donated blood then food and water. The aftermath will haunt us for months to come but Vegas is about finding joy and happiness while uplifting the spirits in times of darkness and despair. Support our locals — especially the restaurant staffs, shops and workers at Mandalay Bay — so we remain #VegasStrong.