September 26, 2013 - 2:54 pm
In the VERY adult comedy “Don Jon,” writer-director Joseph Gordon-Levitt portrays a New Jersey ladies man obsessed with Internet porn who may have met his match when he falls for a “good girl” (Scarlett Johansson) who’s obsessed with romantic comedies.
Aside from it being a confident, original filmmaking debut for the actor, here are six more reasons you should see it:
1. Johansson so convincingly portrays a Jersey girl, or at least what we’ve come to think of as a Jersey girl, she could easily slide into any of the dozen or more horrible reality shows that call the Garden State home. Most viewers would never bat an eye.
2. Gordon-Levitt does a mean Marky Mark. If the DVD contains an extended version of his rapping along to “Good Vibrations,” I’d put it on a 24-hour loop in my living room.
3. Channing Tatum continues his streak of standout cameos.
4. Tony Danza is fantastic as Gordon-Levitt’s father.
5. Tony Danza doesn’t play a character named Tony.
6. On the way home from the theater, guys can finally have that long-awaited, honest, heartfelt discussion with their wives or girlfriends about why they watch porn and how often they really watch it. (OK, make that five reasons.)
“Don Jon,” which also stars Julianne Moore, is rated R and opens Friday, September 27.