weather icon Clear
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

Las Vegas vending machines offer opioid OD reversal drug for free

Updated March 25, 2019 - 7:01 pm

Three vending machines in Las Vegas are now providing the opioid overdose reversal drug Narcan for free.

The newest vending machine, installed March 14 at the Center for Behavioral Health, a Las Vegas substance abuse treatment facility, offers the drug along with clean needles, personal hygiene and first-aid kits, safe sex information and pregnancy tests, a Monday news release said. It’s installed at the center’s facility at 3050 E Desert Inn Road, Suite 115, as part of Trac-B Exchange’s needle exchange program.

“The vending machine provides easy access that does not require a medical appointment,” the news release said. It “is part of Center for Behavioral Health’s mission to address addiction on multiple fronts.”

Trac-B Exchange, part of the Harm Reduction Center in Las Vegas, offers infectious disease consulting to community members. Its existing needle exchange vending machines, which also dispense Narcan, are at the Huntridge Family Clinic, 1830 E Sahara Ave., and The Center, 401 S Maryland Parkway.

Contact Jessie Bekker at jbekker@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-4563. Follow @jessiebekks on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Will your smartphone be the next doctor’s office?

The same devices used to take selfies and type out tweets are being repurposed and commercialized for quick access to information needed for monitoring a patient’s health.

Jason Segel confronts mental health ‘stigma’

In his new series “Shrinking,” Segel portrays “psychological vigilante” Jimmy Laird, a brutally honest therapist who is dealing with a full emotional plate.

Annual COVID vaccines similar to flu shots proposed

Under the proposal from the Food and Drug Administration, Americans would no longer need to keep track of how many shots they have received.

Toni Says: How can I stop my Medicare Part B?

Social Security must interview you to terminate Medicare Parts A or B, and you can do so by calling your local Social Security office.