58°F
weather icon Clear

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died of accidental overdose

ARLINGTON, Texas — A medical examiner in Texas has ruled that Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died from an accidental overdose of drugs and alcohol.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office said in a report released Friday that Skaggs had the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system along with alcohol.

The 27-year-old Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1 before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postponed.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Ted Simmons, union exec Marvin Miller elected to Hall of Fame

They will be inducted into Cooperstown during ceremonies on July 26 along with any players chosen next month by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.

MLB widens sign stealing investigation into Astros

Commissioner Rob Manfred has said for now the Astros are the only team being investigated for cheating allegations.

Big League Weekend returning to Las Vegas

After a one-year hiatus due to construction of the new Las Vegas Ballpark, the Las Vegas Aviators announced on Tuesday that four MLB teams are returning to Las Vegas next year to participate in two Big League Weekends.

Former 51s slugger Pete Alonso NL Rookie of the Year

Houston Astros designated hitter Yordan Álvarez took all 30 first-place votes in the AL, becoming the 24th unanimous pick.