65°F
weather icon Clear

Las Vegas veterinarian launches telemedicine for pets

Updated June 25, 2020 - 8:41 am

A Las Vegas veterinarian has created a new online tool to help owners get medical care for their pets over video chat.

VetTriage, launched in April, allows pet owners to consult with a veterinarian when they need immediate advice for cats, dogs, rabbits, birds or other household pets.

About two years ago, Dr. Shadi Ireifej started developing VetTriage. He launched the service in April when the COVID-19 pandemic increased the need for virtual pet medicine.

Ireifej says that the goal of the service is not to replace in-person veterinary care, but to provide a low-cost, accessible and 24-hour option.

“With our services, 80 percent of cases can be managed at home with monitoring, over-the-counter medicine or waiting for the office to open,” Ireifej says. “The other 20 percent, we triage to determine if they need to go to an emergency hospital now or can wait until their general practitioner is open.”

Ireifej has found that several of the nearly 600 clients who have used the $50 service since April have called about their pet’s allergies or gastrointestinal distress, which he says vets can help treat remotely.

“I realized early on that there was a need for telemedicine for pet owners. COVID-19 gave us the opportunity to test those waters,” Ireifej says. “Individuals who are immunocompromised or who have pets who are terrified to go to the vet also need a way that get advice at home.”

Contact Janna Karel at jkarel@reviewjournal.com. Follow @jannainprogress on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
How to prepare for an earthquake: 15 steps you can take now

While taking these steps would be helpful for residents across the country, anyone who lives in one of the most earthquake-prone areas of the United States should pay particular notice to this plan.

Pfizer says COVID booster adds protection against omicron

Blood samples taken a month after a booster showed people had levels of omicron-neutralizing antibodies that were similar to amounts proven protective against earlier variants after two doses.

Decor trends for the holidays

Mimicking interior design trends, designers appeal to consumers when introducing fresh themes, colors and styles in annual holiday decor. This year’s trend emphasizes natural elements, glamorous decor, eye-catching hues and traditional styles.