An estimated 130 people dropped by Whitney Library between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. Sept. 7 to pick up free produce.
The library has partnered with Three Square since May 4 to offer a food bank every Thursday that includes fruits, vegetables, cases of water and even frozen pizzas.
“It’s definitely something that the community does need,” said Marcela Chiarandini, performing arts center coordinator for the Las Vegas-Clark County Library District. “There’s a population that are hungry out there. This helps cut down on those costs and gives families and individuals better assistance. It’s not a whole lot, but it does make a difference. Everyone is really appreciative.”
Three libraries in the district have coordinated with Three Square. Clark County Library started May 2, and Sunrise Library recently adopted the program.
On this day, Three Square provided potatoes, apples and cases of water. Some patrons said they came because the program has food they actually need.
“It’s free food, and it’s staple food,” said Shaun Lawler, a first-time attendee. “It’s stuff you need. I mean, if water wasn’t given out, some people would actually die.”
Patron Bernadine Scott said she often recommends the giveaway to friends and family members who are down on their luck, which she empathizes with.
It’s an efficient system, Chiarandini said, designed to not have people waiting in the heat for an hour.
Attendees are asked to call Three Square between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. the day of the giveaway. This gives them a spot on the recipient list. Those who show up and don’t call receive items on a first-come, first-served basis once all signed-up patrons have been served.
To sign up to receive food at the food bank on Thursdays, call Three Square at 702-765-4030.
Other Three Square food bank east valley locations:
- Nellis Baptist Church, 4300 Las Vegas Blvd.
- Salvation Army, 35 W. Owens Ave.
- Las Vegas Rescue Mission, 480 W. Bonanza Road
- Catholic Charities, 1501 N. Main St.
- The Champion Center Operation Hope, 3100 E. Bonanza Road
- Epicenter on the Parkway, 2000 S. Maryland Parkway
- Balm of Gilead, 860 E. Twain Ave.
- Paradise Seventh Day Adventist Church, 4575 Sandhill Road
- Jewish Family Services, 2309 Renaissance Drive
- Fountain of Hope AME Church, 2955 E. Russell Road