70°F
weather icon Clear

12 people displaced after east Las Vegas house fire

Twelve people, including a newborn, have been displaced after a fire in the east Las Vegas Valley early Monday morning.

The Clark County Fire Department responded to 4990 E. Imperial Avenue, near Charleston and Nellis boulevards, just before 12:30 a.m.

Occupants of the residence reported the smell of something burning and firefighters could smell smoke upon arrival, but there was no visible sign of smoke or fire, the department said.

After a brief investigation, firefighters located a smouldering fire in the attic that didn’t have enough oxygen in the concealed space. When firefighters opened up the attic and the smouldering fire had access to more oxygen, the entire attic became heavily involved in fire, the department said.

The fire was extinguished in minutes and was determined to be an accidental electrical fire. Damages are estimated at $80,000.

No injuries were reported, but American Red Cross was called to assist the displaced residents.

Contact Lawren Linehan atllinehan@reviewjournal.com or at 702-383-0381. Find @lawrenlinehan on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Week in Pictures: May 19-May 25

Take a look at some prolific pictures from Las Vegas Review-Journal photographers in the past week, including the College of Southern Nevada’s commencement ceremony at the Thomas & Mack Center, the Showgirl Bootcamp at Saxe Theater inside Planet Hollywood, the 29th annual Snow Mountain Pow Wow in the northwest valley and the Electric Daisy Carnival […]