99°F
weather icon Clear

Clark County coroner IDs man killed in Saturday kitchen fire

A man killed early Saturday morning in a central valley kitchen fire has been identified.

He was 28-year-old Shaun Vega Jr. of Las Vegas, the Clark County coroner’s office said Sunday.

Las Vegas firefighters received a report of smoke about 1:45 a.m. Saturday at an apartment at 3333 N. Michael Way, near North Rancho Drive.

Firefighters found Vega unresponsive inside the second-story apartment’s door. He was pronounced dead at University Medical Center. The Las Vegas Fire Department said a flash fire likely started while the man was cooking, causing the burns to his face and hands.

Cause and manner of death are still pending at the coroner’s office.

Contact Rachel Hershkovitz at rhershkovitz@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381. Follow @rzhershkovitz on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Las Vegas reaches 111 degrees, the hottest day of 2019

It was back to a normal hot Las Vegas summer in the valley after Friday’s surprise rain, with temperatures peaking at 111 degrees Saturday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service.