75°F
weather icon Partly Cloudy

Fire at Sands convention center causes $100,000 in damage — VIDEO

A vendor booth at an ophthalmology convention went up in flames Thursday night at the Sands Expo and Convention Center, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage.

No one was hurt.

Clark County Fire District responded to the alarm at 8:15 p.m. at 201 Sands Ave. The sprinkler system already had been activated. It took about seven minutes to extinguish the blaze, according to a news release sent Friday. Thirty firefighters responded.

Sprinklers kept the blaze from spreading, the news release said. The building was evacuated, and firefighters helped air out lingering smoke.

Investigators are still trying to figure out how the fire started.

Contact Lawren Linehan at llinehan@reviewjournal.com or at 702-383-0391. Find her on Twitter: @lawrenlinehan

 

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST