A fire that might have been caused by careless smoking caused $500,000 worth of damage to an apartment complex Monday, Las Vegas Fire Department officials said.
The blaze occurred at 12:57 p.m. at the Sahara Palms Apartments, 2900 El Camino Ave., near Sahara Avenue and Valley View Boulevard. Winds gusting at 24 mph spread the flames. The fire was brought under control in 10 minutes.
Department officials said eight units were damaged, three of which were gutted. A second building suffered heat damage.
The fire appeared to be accidental. It displaced 20 people, fire officials said.
Contact reporter Antonio Planas at email@example.com or 702-383-4638.