Resident concerns often initiate traffic studies

Residents near Buffalo Drive and Badura Avenue have long had concerns about the intersection. Turning left onto Buffalo is impossible according to resident Judy Pleshe.

“You should try it,” she said.

She worries about the safety in the intersection, especially after 19-year-old Alvin Davis Jr. died in a traffic accident there in early September. Though the other driver was arrested for driving under the influence, Pleshe thinks the intersection is hard for anyone to maneuver, impaired or not.

“I’d love to see a light there,” she said.

At the very least, she would like to see Clark County traffic engineers redraw the turning lane to allow more space to accommodate the large construction trucks that use the intersection.

When residents have concerns about traffic issues, the county, Las Vegas, Henderson and North Las Vegas are ready to listen.

Clark County representative Dan Kulin said thanks to resident requests, a traffic study was scheduled for the southwest-area intersection.

“We do about 200 traffic studies a year. We get approximately 250 requests a year,” Kulin said.

He said the difference in those two numbers can be accounted for the fact that many requests are redundant, and frequently, requests come in for traffic issues that have already been studied in the last year or that fall under the jurisdiction of another municipality.

Kulin said studies include counts of pedestrian and vehicle traffic, records of accidents that have happened in the area, an analysis of visibility, vehicle speed, signage and the road’s configuration.

“Generally speaking, when we get a request, it can take two or three months for us to initiate it,” he said. “And then probably another month to evaluate and review.”

Kulin said the outcomes of a study can include leaving things as they are, putting in stop signs or traffic signals or a reconfiguration of traffic.

“We can study an area frequently,” he said. “There are some that we’ll study once a year depending on the requests we receive. As you know, things change in the community all the time.”

Sometimes those changes are rapid. Kulin used the example of Fort Apache Road when the Wet’n’Wild water park was completed. The area quickly went from a rural area to an area that needed traffic lights.

The study process is similar in the city of Las Vegas.

“If we get a request for a traffic signal, we generally complete the study in about one to three months,” said city representative Jace Radke via email. “These types of studies require that we collect and analyze a lot of data (24-hour traffic counts, peak hour turning movement counts, three-year crash data, just to name some of the components).”

Radke said that even after a study shows a traffic signal is warranted, it takes time to secure funding, design the signal and construct it. Traffic signals can cost as much as $500,000.

“Generally speaking, from the time a traffic study shows a signal is warranted to the time the traffic signal is constructed and fully operational can take anywhere from nine months to three years depending on how difficult the signal may be to construct,” he said.

Some signals may require that the municipality secure easements or right-of-way for the pole placement, and others require approval from the Nevada Department of Transportation or from neighboring municipalities when the signal is on a shared border.

A recent example is the Bradley Road and Grand Teton Drive intersection in the northwest. A study was requested in April, completed in June, and construction is set to begin in December, with completion expected in March 2016.

Kulin said in the county, on average, it takes about two years to progress from study request to finished traffic signal, though that timeline changes.

“We rank the planned improvements and do the ones that are needed the most sooner,” he said.

Anyone can request a traffic study. Kulin said while elected officials can bring attention to an area and request a study, requests from the public are just as effective.

To request a study, first determine which municipality is in charge. In North Las Vegas, fill out an online form at In Las Vegas, requests should be mailed to: Traffic Engineer, City of Las Vegas, 400 Stewart Ave., Las Vegas, NV, 89101. Calls can be made to 702-229-6327. In Clark County, residents can call 702-455-6000.

In Henderson, representative Keith Paul recommends two routes for requests. Residents can call the traffic hotline at 702-267-3200 or visit and select “Contact Henderson” on the bottom center of the page. From there, select “Traffic Engineering” along the left side and then “Submit Request” on the top.

“The most important thing is for them to be as specific as possible,” Paul said, pointing out that the city has a wealth of studies staff can perform from crash and speed studies to pedestrian counts and signal studies.

He said using the Internet submission method is the best because residents can track their requests through the process, or if a similar study has already been completed, they can get information on that study.

— Contact View contributing reporter Ginger Meurer at Find her on Twitter: @gingermmm.

Bump stock manufacturers under fire
The Justice Department said last month that it had started the process to amend federal firearms regulations to clarify that federal law defines bump stocks as machine guns.
Art Bell’s Top 10 Shows
A selection of radio host Art Bell’s most popular shows.
Longtime Las Vegas attorney John Momot dies at age 74
Criminal defense attorney John Momot, who represented mob figures and even played himself in the movie “Casino,” has died.
David Copperfield in court after man injured during magic trick
The attorney for a British man who is suing illusionist David Copperfield said his client suffered serious injuries after being called on stage during Copperfield's show at MGM Grand.
5 things connecting Las Vegas and Marilyn Monroe
1. Marilyn Monroe, known then as Norma Jeane, obtained her first divorce in Las Vegas at the age of 20 on September 13, 1946. 2. According to some biographers, Monroe lived at 604 S. 3rd Street for four months during the summer of 1946. The house has since been torn down and is now the site of a parking lot. 3. In 1954, Monroe almost married Joe DiMaggio in Las Vegas but the wedding was called off last minute. The wedding was to be held at the Hotel El Rancho Vegas which was located on the southwest corner of Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard. 4. Las Vegas has at least one road dedicated to the star. Marilyn Monroe Avenue is located in east Las Vegas and intersects with Betty Davis Street and Cary Grant Court. 5. There are currently more than 20 Marilyn Monroe impersonators for hire in the Las Vegas Valley.
Sir Richard Branson announces purchase of Hard Rock Hotel
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, has acquired the Hard Rock Hotel with partners and plans to turn it into a Virgin-branded property by the end of 2019.
3 Centennial High School students killed in Calif. crash (Full)
Three Centennial High School students were killed Thursday morning in Southern California when their vehicle was struck by a suspected drunken driver while they were enjoying their spring break, according to a family member of one of the victims.
Retail Restroom Sexual Assault Suspect
Las Vegas police are asking for help finding a man they said groped a woman in a south Las Vegas Valley restroom. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Calvary Christian Learning Academy, “There was no fair warning.”
Samantha O’Brien, whose three-year-old daughter attended the Calvary Christian Learning Academy daycare, found out Monday night when her daughter’s teacher called about the school closing.
Mojave Max at Springs Preserve
File footage of Mojave Max at Springs Preserve. (Springs Preserve)
Companies bet their futures on cryptocurrency
Two Las Vegas entrepreneurs talk about finding their niche in blockchain enabled technologies and digital currency.
Solar panels reduce energy bill for CCSD
Wilbur and Theresa Faiss Middle School is one of 42 CCSD schools with solar panel installations, saving approximately $514,000 per year in energy costs.
Red carpet at MGM for Dan Reynolds Believer screening
Kats on the red carpet for the VIP screening of "Believer," the documentary by Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds about how the Mormon Church treats its LGBTQ members.
Driver dies in single-vehicle crash
One person is dead after an early Wednesday morning crash in the northwest valley. The single-vehicle crash was called in about 1:35 a.m. on Jones Boulevard just north of Deer Springs Way, according to Metropolitan Police Department Sgt. Robert Stauffer. The driver, who was the only person inside the vehicle, died at the scene.
Uber Health to Improve Patient Ride-Hailing Services
Uber Health to Improve Patient Ride-Hailing Services On Thursday, Uber launched its Uber Health platform for healthcare providers. Medical facilities, rehab centers, clinics and hospitals can book rides for patients from a centralized dashboard – no app required. According to Techcrunch, Uber Health general manager Chris Weber noted some 3.6 million Americans miss appointments due to lack access to reliable transportation. Uber’s endeavors into health care trace back to 2014, when Uber first offered on-demand flu shots in large markets across the U.S. Since then there have been similar efforts throughout the world, from diabetes and thyroid testing in India, to subsidized rides for breast cancer screening in the U.S., to many more. Last summer, over 100 healthcare organizations joined the platform during a private beta. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Las Vegas firefighters put out blaze along Bonanza Road
Las Vegas firefighters put out a blaze that burned for about 15 minutes Feb. 20, 2018, along Bonanza Road, across from the Las Vegas Review-Journal. (Jeff Mosier/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Cabana Market Shooting -- Persons of Interest
On February 3, 2018 at approximately 1:57 p.m., patrol officers were dispatched to a parking lot located in the 3900 block of East Owens Avenue to investigate a report that a man had been shot. Responding officers located an unresponsive adult male suffering from a gunshot wound. The victim was pronounced deceased at the scene. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like