Gov. Brian Sandoval will extend the life of the Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee through September so the 11-member group can further evaluate a proposal for a 65,000-seat domed football stadium.
The governor said additional work by the committee vetting potential stadium sites and financing options for the proposal is “time well spent.” The panel, created by executive order last year to study projects critical to Southern Nevada’s tourism economy, was supposed to complete its work and disband by the end of this month.
Committee Chairman Steve Hill said Monday that he would ask the governor to extend the committee’s work through the end of September. The extra time would allow private developers behind the stadium to complete research that would help the committee make a recommendation on the project, Hill said.
Casino operator Las Vegas Sands Corp., Majestic Realty and the NFL’s Oakland Raiders are partners on the public-private project, which now has an estimated price ranging from $1.7 billion to $2.1 billion. At a Monday meeting of the committee, the developers listed nine sites under consideration for the stadium and said they would need 30 to 45 days to review the locations.
Sandoval was expected produce an amended executive order late Tuesday or early Wednesday. He was asked to expand the role of the committee to include a discussion on increasing the number of police officers on the Strip with the addition of a stadium.
The Review-Journal is owned by the family of Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson.
This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.
Contact Richard N. Velotta at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-477-3893. Find him on Twitter: @RickVelotta