Prosecutors indict 3 in racketeering case linked to slain ‘Star Trek’ actor in Las Vegas

They siphoned his million-dollar inheritance for nearly three years, prosecutors said Thursday, until he had almost nothing left.

And after 70-year-old actor Charles Thomas Deishley started asking questions about the investments he thought he made, he was shot dead.

Deishley had been an actor in the Las Vegas Shakespeare Festival and for 10 years participated in Star Trek: The Experience inside the former Las Vegas Hilton.

Nearly three years after his body was found, no one has been charged with the killing. But a trio connected to the Las Vegas auction world were indicted this week on charges of racketeering, embezzlement, forgery, obtaining money under false pretenses and grand larceny.

Prosecutors say that between Feb. 2011 and Dec. 2013, Kelleen Cota, 56, Janette Anais Martinez, 26, and James Anthony Martinez-Amador, 25, convinced Deishley to pour his money into shell companies that they said were investments into billboards, coins, gold and real estate.

The three have not been taken into custody, and District Judge Jennifer Togliatti issued no-bail warrants Thursday for their arrests.

Cota is listed on LinkedIn as the president at Las Vegas Auction. In the indictment, prosecutors said the three also are tied to shell companies Martinez Outdoor Advertising and Martinez Auction LLC.

Deishley first met Cota through an auction, according to prosecutor Jake Villani.

“We believe that’s how everything got started with the other investments,” the prosecutor said.

On Dec. 9, 2013, fellow actors became worried because they hadn’t seen Deishley. He was found slumped in a chair in his northwest valley home with a single gunshot wound to the back of the head. Prosecutors think he had been dead for days.

“We think he was out of money,” said Binu Palal, another prosecutor working on the case. “We believe that the triggering event was that he started asking questions about these investments.”

Asked if any of the defendants indicted this week are suspected in the slaying, the prosecutors said the murder was in the midst of “an ongoing investigation.”

Authorities spent the next few years trying to figure out who killed Deishley and found that he had made investments with the three indicted this week.

Reached by phone at Martinez Auctions and asked about the indictment, Cota said she was “not aware of anything. I had no idea.”

“Talk to my attorney. Thank you,” she said, before hanging up. Her lawyer, Eric Ferran, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Cota’s former husband, Albert Cota, is serving 40 years to life in Nevada prison for the slaying of his wife Hiroko Cota in 2004, according to court records. At the time, Kelleen Cota was charged with possession of the victim’s credit card without her consent, but court records indicate that charge was ultimately dropped.

Deishley performed as a Klingon known as General Motog and spoke Klingon to customers at the Hilton show from its opening in 1998 until it closed in 2008, a friend and co-worker, Kerstan Szczepanski, told the Review-Journal at the time of his death.

Deishley, who at one point lived in London, was originally from Ohio and had no family in Las Vegas, Szczepanski said.

Prosecutors said there were no signs of forced entry into Deishley’s home after his body was found, suggesting the killing was not the result of a random burglary.

Contact David Ferrara at dferrara@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-1039. Follow @randompoker on Twitter.

ad-high_impact_4
Crime
Metro Asst. Sheriff Brett Zimmerman on Aug. 8 officer-involved shooting
Metropolitan Police Department Assistant Sheriff Brett Zimmerman met with media Monday to discuss the details of the 14th officer-involved shooting of the year. (Madelyn Reese/ Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nye County detectives pursue suspects
A swarm of Nye County deputies, at the request of Las Vegas police, surrounded a hotel room in Pahrump last week to take two fugitives into custody. (Nye County Sheriff's Office)
Las Vegas judge’s ruling will halt tonight’s execution
On Wednesday Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez issued a ruling that will halt the execution of convicted murderer Scott Dozier. Alvogen Inc., which makes the sedative midazolam, filed a lawsuit Tuesday accusing the Nevada Department of Corrections of surreptitiously obtaining the drug for use in an execution.
3 people shot in southeast Las Vegas
Three men were shot Thursday night in southeast Las Vegas, and two of them have life threatening injuries. Las Vegas police responded to the incident just after 10 p.m. on the 5000 block of Mountain Vista Street. The investigation is in its early stages and police were unable to describe the suspect or say how man people they think were involved. Police encourage anyone with information regarding this shooting to call Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555, or 3-1-1
Robbery suspects apprehended
Four robbery suspects were taken into custody Thursday morning after a vehicle and foot chase that ended in an east Las Vegas neighborhood. The incident began when a person was robbed at gunpoint around 4:45 a.m. near Maryland Parkway and Desert Inn. Officers arriving at the scene tried to stop two vehicles. One vehicle escaped but police chased the second into a neighborhood on Flamingo Road near Mountain Vista Street. Police surrounded the neighborhood and the suspects were apprehended. It looked like one police vehicle was involved in a collision with the suspects' car. One woman suffered an unknown injury and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. 01:04
Las Vegas police looking for robbery suspects
Two robbers who recently targeted three Las Vegas businesses remained at large Tuesday and police are asking the public to help identify them. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser gives update of officer-involved shooting
Metro Capt. Jaime Prosser provides an update about an officer-involved shooting at Radwick Drive and Owens Avenue in the northeast Las Vegas on Thursday. A robbery suspect was shot and killed. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal) @bizutesfaye
LVMPD Looking For Robbery Suspect
The LVMPD Commercial Robbery Section is attempting to identify the pictured suspect who is responsible for committing robberies to businesses in the southern part of the Las Vegas Valley during the month of May 2018. The suspect enters the business, threatens the employee with a firearm and demands money from the register. The employee complies and the suspect flees the business.
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead
North Las Vegas police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead at 2500 block of Ellis St., on Friday, June 8, 2018. Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal @bizutesfaye
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
ad-infeed_1
ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like