73°F
weather icon Clear

In exclusive interview, Trump slams Sisolak, defends indoor rally

Updated September 14, 2020 - 6:52 am

President Donald Trump told the Review-Journal in an exclusive interview Sunday that he did not believe he was subject to Gov. Steve Sisolak’s order limiting gatherings to 50 people when he addressed a crowd of thousands at an indoor gathering in Henderson.

The president blamed the Democratic governor for forcing his campaign to abandon plans to hold an outdoor campaign event Sunday at Cirrus Aviation, near McCarran International Airport, and another one Saturday in Reno that was moved to an outdoor venue in Minden.

The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority told the tenants of a private hangar where the president was originally supposed to hold the event that doing so would violate coronavirus rules and their lease agreement. McCarran officials said no one from the Trump campaign or Cirrus Aviation ever asked them about holding a campaign event.

After failing to arrange alternative venues in the Las Vegas area, the campaign decided to hold the gathering indoors at the Xtreme Manufacturing facility, owned by his friend Don Ahern, Trump said.

“They canceled six different sites because the governor wouldn’t let it happen, all external sites,” the president said.

The evening reflected a split seen across the country between Americans who want fewer restrictions imposed by state and local governments and those who believe that Trump should not encourage his supporters to risk their health in order to express their political opinions.

No fear of virus

Trump said in his interview with the Review-Journal that he is not afraid of getting the coronavirus from speaking at an indoor rally.

“I’m on a stage and it’s very far away,” Trump said. “And so I’m not at all concerned.”

Sisolak leapt on that answer during a Monday interview with MSNBC.

“This is typical Donald Trump,” the governor said. “He’s only concerned about himself, and not the 3 million citizens/residents that we have that I’m concerned about on a daily basis.”

Said the governor: “He’s not concerned about all the folks who were there and who are going to go home. And their kids are going to go to school. … He’s only concerned about his own health, not the health of anyone else in the state of Nevada.”

On Sunday, Trump told a Review-Journal reporter who thought she was socially distanced, “I’m more concerned about how close you are, to be honest.”

Later, when she told Trump she had tested negative earlier in the day, Trump mugged that he felt “100 percent better.”

The president complained that holding the event indoors limited the size of the crowd. The Trump campaign estimated that the audience was about 5,000 people, in addition to crowds assembled outside.

‘A political hack’

Trump did not have kind words for Sisolak, whom he called “a political hack.” Trump said that the two leaders have spoken a little, as he turned his ire to a new state law that directs mail ballots to be sent to all active registered voters for the November general election.

Trump rejected the notion that Republican Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske controls the election.

“The governor totally controls it. … That’s OK. He wants to play the game, we’ll play the game,” Trump said.

Asked whether he wants all Nevadans to vote by mail, Trump responded, “I want everybody to go and vote (in person) unless you do an absentee ballot.”

Unlike mail ballots, which are sent to all voters in certain precincts, absentee ballots must be specifically requested by voters. Under the state’s newly passed law, elections that take place in emergency situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic will see all active registered voters sent a mail ballot.

Contact Debra J. Saunders at dsaunders@reviewjournal.com or 202-662-7391. Follow @DebraJSaunders on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST