89°F
weather icon Clear

Clark County reports 13 new COVID-19 deaths, bringing state toll to 71

Updated April 7, 2020 - 7:30 pm

The number of deaths in Clark County attributed to COVID-19 jumped by 13 to 54 on Tuesday, and Washoe County reported another fatality, bringing the death toll from the disease caused by the new coronavirus in Nevada to 71, according to data from public health agencies and counties.

A new report by the Southern Nevada Health District reported the spike in deaths after the state reported 58 total deaths late Monday. The state numbers did not specify where the deaths occurred, and that figure probably included most of the deaths reported by the health district.

The health district also reported a total of 1,734 COVID-19 cases in Clark County as of early Tuesday, up from 1,608 on Monday.

The number of cases has been increasing at Las Vegas Valley hospitals, rising from 100 patients on March 29 to 417 as of Tuesday. That figure indicates that 27 percent of those diagnosed with COVID-19 have required hospitalization, a figure that is likely inflated because most tests are conducted on the seriously ill, including many who have been admitted.

A death of a woman in her 50s reported Tuesday by the Washoe County Health District — bringing the county total to five — and one death previously reported in Elko County added to the new figure for Clark County, according to individual reports by health districts and county officials.

Earlier in the day, the Washoe health district had reported 28 new cases of COVID-19 and one new recovery. The district provided no details about the new cases but said in a news release that the county had reported 309 cases, of which 274 are considered active, including 28 patients who are hospitalized. It said 31 other patients are considered recovered from the virus.

The number of cases reported by the local authorities in Nevada — 2,102 as of Tuesday night — exceeded the figure of 2,087 reported earlier in the day by the state Health and Human Services Department on its nvhealthresponse.nv.gov website. The latter figure was up by 134 cases overnight, according to the state’s tally.

With 18,639 others testing negative for the virus, according to the state data, that translates to an infection rate of just over 11 percent. That figure also is likely inflated because the seriously ill and people who have had close contact with other diagnosed cases are more likely to be tested.

Late on Monday, the state reported that the number of COVID-19 deaths has jumped by 12 to 58 — the biggest one-day increase since Nevada reported its first death on March 16.

Gov. Steve Sisolak suggested in a post on Twitter on Monday night that a reporting bottleneck could have delayed reporting some of the deaths.

“We are currently investigating whether all 12 of these deaths occurred today, or if there was a lag in timely reporting over the weekend. If so, I will work to make sure this is fixed,” he said.

In other developments Tuesday:

■ Nye County officials reported a new case of COVID-19 in a Tonopah resident, raising the number of cases reported in the county to 10. The case was the first reported in the town. County officials say two of those diagnosed with the disease have recovered.

■ The College of Southern Nevada has reported two more cases of COVID-19 among its students, bringing the total to four in the three-campus system. The new cases involved a student who was last on the North Las Vegas campus on March 17 and a student last on the Charleston campus the same day. The Southern Nevada Health District was attempting to track down and notify anyone who may have had close contact.

■ Carson City Health and Human Services reported three new cases: a Carson city man in his 20s; a Carson City woman in her 40s; and a Douglas County woman in her 30s. The Quad-County region, which also includes Douglas, Lyon and Storey counties, has 18 active cases.

^

Contact Mike Brunker at mbrunker@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-4656. Follow @mike_brunker on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Politics Videos
Nevada gyms, bars that do not serve food can reopen Friday - VIDEO
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday evening said Phase 2 of the state’s Nevada United: Roadmap to Recovery will begin on Friday. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada Rep. Horsford admits to having affair - VIDEO
Nevada Congressman Steven Horsford admitted to having an affair with Gabriela Linder, a former intern for Sen. Harry Reid. Linder detailed her account of the affair in a podcast she called, "Mistress for Congress." (Heidi Fang/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak says businesses will begin reopening under phase 1 - VIDEO
The first phase of reopening Nevada’s businesses will begin Saturday, May 9, Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Joe Biden denies Tara Reade's sexual assault allegation - VIDEO
The former senate aide claims Biden assaulted her in 1993 when he was a senator. Biden first denied the accusations via a public post on Medium. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
RJ interview with Sisolak on the reopening plan for Nevada - VIDEO
The Las Vegas Review-Journal interviewed Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak on the plan for reopening Nevada during the coronavirus pandemic. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak reacts to Goodman CNN interview- VIDEO
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman repeated her call to immediately reopen businesses during an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Wednesday, leading to a reaction from Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak praises Nevadans for staying at home, saving lives - VIDEO
Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday it’s still too early to know when the state’s COVID-19 shutdown orders could be lifted or when businesses could start to reopen their doors. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump gives governors 3-phase approach to open US - VIDEO
President Donald Trump declared victory in America’s war against the “invisible enemy” as the president’s Coronavirus Task Force released “Opening up America Again” guidelines. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump names Jacky Rosen to task force on reopening economy - VIDEO
President Donald Trump named Sen. Jacky Rosen, D-Nev., to be a member of his Opening Up America Again Congressional Group Thursday to advise him on coronavirus policy. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden for president - VIDEO
On April 13, former presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders announced his official endorsement of former Vice President Joe Biden. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Bernie Sanders drops out of 2020 Democratic race for president - VIDEO
Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont officially announced an end to his 2020 presidential bid on Wednesday. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Democratic National Convention postponed - VIDEO
The Democratic National Convention was set to take place over four days in the middle of July. Democratic officials have now confirmed the convention will take place the week of Aug. 17. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Henderson allows immediate sale of alcohol with curbside pickup - VIDEO
The city of Henderson decided Thursday evening to allow alcohol to be sold by restaurants as part of their curbside pickup service during the COVID-19 crisis. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak signs order banning any gathering of 10 or more people - VIDEO
Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday signed a new order banning any gathering of 10 or more people in Nevada in another step the state has taken to slow the spread of the new coronavirus. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Takeaways from the president's daily briefing on coronavirus - VIDEO
RJ Washington correspondent Debra Saunders talks about today's daily White House news conference regarding the coronavirus outbreak, Friday, March 20, 2020. (Renee Summerour/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Judicial Department 5 Debate - Video
The Las Vegas Review-Journal hosts a debate between the 3 candidates running for Department 5 in Clark County District Court. Participating are Veronica M. Barisich, Terry A. Coffing and Blair Cowan Parker.
Trump cancels Las Vegas trip because of ‘coronavirus outbreak’ - VIDEO
President Donald Trump canceled planned travel to Las Vegas ‘out of an abundance of caution’ amid virus outbreak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump signs $8.3 billion coronavirus package - VIDEO
President Trump signed a bill providing $8.3 billion in emergency funding to combat the coronavirus outbreaK, Friday, March 6, 2020. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
THE LATEST
Nevada will expand testing, tracing with federal money

Nevada will commit roughly $221 million in mostly federal money through 2021 to rebuilding state protective equipment stockpiles, expanding COVID-19 testing and contact tracing, and preparing a mass vaccination program.