88°F
weather icon Partly Cloudy

6 more COVID-19 deaths reported in Clark County

Updated April 2, 2020 - 5:47 pm

Six more people in Clark County have died from COVID-19, bringing the statewide death toll to 38, the Southern Nevada Health District reported Thursday.

The deaths, which brought the death toll from the disease caused by the coronavirus to 34 in the county, occurred as the number of cases reported by the district surged to 1,125, up from 961 on Wednesday. The district did not provide details on those cases.

The number of COVID-19 cases in Nevada also jumped on Thursday, increasing to 1,458 from 1,279 on Wednesday, according to state data.

The state caseload of the disease was derived from tests on 14,046 people and represents an infection rate of approximately 10 percent of those tested, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services’ nvhealthresponse.nv.gov website. That rate is likely elevated, however, because of an ongoing shortage of testing kits that often results in only the sickest patients or those who have had close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 being tested.

The other four COVID-19 deaths in the state occurred in Washoe County.

Most people infected by the new coronavirus develop mild or moderate symptoms and recover after about two weeks. But the World Health Organization notes that in more severe cases, “infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.”

In other developments:

— The Clark County School District reported Thursday that a food service worker who most recently worked at Desert Pines High School has died of COVID-19. The male employee last worked at the Las Vegas high school, which has served as a food distribution site during the statewide school closure, on March 23, the district said. The food distribution site is closed until further notice for deep cleaning and sanitization, it said.

— The Clark County city of Mesquite reported its second case of COVID-19 late Wednesday. It was the second case reported among the roughly 18,500 residents of the city, according to the city’s health.mesquitenv.gov/home website. Capt. John Gately of Mesquite Fire & Rescue said the city had notified close contacts of both patients, who are isolated and recovering at home, he said.

— A North Las Vegas police officer has tested positive for COVID-19 in the first case involving a member of the department, city officials said Thursday. City Manager City Manager Ryann Juden said in an email to staff members late Wednesday that the officer was diagnosed early Wednesday but was “in good spirits” while recovering at home.

— A student at the College of Southern Nevada who last attended classes on March 13 on the Henderson campus has tested positive for the illness, the college said in a notice posted on its website Thursday. The notice provided no information on the student’s condition. CSN reported on Tuesday that another student who attended classes on its Charleston campus also had tested positive.

— The Washoe County Health District reported that two more sheriff’s office employees have tested positive and raised its total number of COVID-19 cases to 184. A news release said the employees, a deputy and a civilian worker, had been diagnosed with the disease. The district reported on Saturday that a deputy at the sheriff’s office detention facility also had tested positive. The district also reported that 26 of the county’s COVID-19 patients have recovered. It is one of the few offices in the state reporting those figures.

— Officials in Elko County reported two cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, bringing the total in the county to seven. County Manager Rob Stokes said in a release that two of the patients have recovered.

— Carson City Health and Human Services reported one new COVID-19 case and the first recovery in the Quad Countiesarea, which covers Douglas, Lyon and Storey counties. The agency, which has reported a total of 17 cases in the region, said the new case was a male Carson City resident in his 80s who was self-isolating at home and was in a stable condition. It provided no details on the recovered patient.

— The Humboldt County Health Board in Northern Nevada reported two new cases of COVID-19 late Wednesday, bringing the total in the county to seven. The new cases were a woman in her 60s and a man in his 70s, both of whom were close contacts of previously diagnosed patients.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Mike Brunker at mbrunker@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-4656. Follow @mike_brunker on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Politics Videos
Nevada gyms, bars that do not serve food can reopen Friday - VIDEO
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday evening said Phase 2 of the state’s Nevada United: Roadmap to Recovery will begin on Friday. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Nevada Rep. Horsford admits to having affair - VIDEO
Nevada Congressman Steven Horsford admitted to having an affair with Gabriela Linder, a former intern for Sen. Harry Reid. Linder detailed her account of the affair in a podcast she called, "Mistress for Congress." (Heidi Fang/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak says businesses will begin reopening under phase 1 - VIDEO
The first phase of reopening Nevada’s businesses will begin Saturday, May 9, Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Joe Biden denies Tara Reade's sexual assault allegation - VIDEO
The former senate aide claims Biden assaulted her in 1993 when he was a senator. Biden first denied the accusations via a public post on Medium. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
RJ interview with Sisolak on the reopening plan for Nevada - VIDEO
The Las Vegas Review-Journal interviewed Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak on the plan for reopening Nevada during the coronavirus pandemic. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak reacts to Goodman CNN interview- VIDEO
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman repeated her call to immediately reopen businesses during an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Wednesday, leading to a reaction from Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak praises Nevadans for staying at home, saving lives - VIDEO
Gov. Steve Sisolak said Thursday it’s still too early to know when the state’s COVID-19 shutdown orders could be lifted or when businesses could start to reopen their doors. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump gives governors 3-phase approach to open US - VIDEO
President Donald Trump declared victory in America’s war against the “invisible enemy” as the president’s Coronavirus Task Force released “Opening up America Again” guidelines. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump names Jacky Rosen to task force on reopening economy - VIDEO
President Donald Trump named Sen. Jacky Rosen, D-Nev., to be a member of his Opening Up America Again Congressional Group Thursday to advise him on coronavirus policy. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden for president - VIDEO
On April 13, former presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders announced his official endorsement of former Vice President Joe Biden. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Bernie Sanders drops out of 2020 Democratic race for president - VIDEO
Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont officially announced an end to his 2020 presidential bid on Wednesday. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Democratic National Convention postponed - VIDEO
The Democratic National Convention was set to take place over four days in the middle of July. Democratic officials have now confirmed the convention will take place the week of Aug. 17. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Henderson allows immediate sale of alcohol with curbside pickup - VIDEO
The city of Henderson decided Thursday evening to allow alcohol to be sold by restaurants as part of their curbside pickup service during the COVID-19 crisis. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sisolak signs order banning any gathering of 10 or more people - VIDEO
Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday signed a new order banning any gathering of 10 or more people in Nevada in another step the state has taken to slow the spread of the new coronavirus. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Takeaways from the president's daily briefing on coronavirus - VIDEO
RJ Washington correspondent Debra Saunders talks about today's daily White House news conference regarding the coronavirus outbreak, Friday, March 20, 2020. (Renee Summerour/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Judicial Department 5 Debate - Video
The Las Vegas Review-Journal hosts a debate between the 3 candidates running for Department 5 in Clark County District Court. Participating are Veronica M. Barisich, Terry A. Coffing and Blair Cowan Parker.
Trump cancels Las Vegas trip because of ‘coronavirus outbreak’ - VIDEO
President Donald Trump canceled planned travel to Las Vegas ‘out of an abundance of caution’ amid virus outbreak. (James Schaeffer / Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Trump signs $8.3 billion coronavirus package - VIDEO
President Trump signed a bill providing $8.3 billion in emergency funding to combat the coronavirus outbreaK, Friday, March 6, 2020. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
Sen. Cortez Masto shows support for Judge Togliatti - VIDEO
Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto shows her support for senior state District Court Judge Jennifer Togliatti to be appointed to the federal bench in Nevada. (Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto)
Sen. Rosen supports Judge Togliatti - VIDEO
Sen. Jacky Rosen shows her support for Nevada Judge Jennifer Togliatti to be appointed to the federal bench. (Sen. Jacky Rosen)
MSNBC’s Chris Matthews resigns following series of controversies - VIDEO
The "Hardball" host announced his departure Monday night, March 2, 2020, effective immediately. The anchor recently came under fire for comparing Sen. Bernie Sanders’ victory in the Nevada caucasus to the Nazi conquest of France in 1940. (Las Vegas Review-Journal)
THE LATEST
Secretary of state: Mail ballots distributed properly

The Nevada secretary of state’s office took an extra step Friday to clarify “ongoing confusion” over the all-vote-by-mail June 9 state primary, seeking to clarify misunderstandings over how mail ballots have been distributed.

Nevada faces even larger budget cuts

Gov. Steve Sisolak’s administration is asking for even deeper budget cuts in the coming fiscal year than those already announced as the state struggles with huge drops in revenue because of the coronavirus-triggered business shutdown.